Accounts Payable Specialist
Finance and Accounting | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Serving those who serve others – Supporting over 110 social service programs with responsive administrative efforts.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Accounts Payable Specialist processes invoices for payment. The specialist prepares the voucher package, selects invoices for payment; prepares the appropriate documentation in preparation for disbursement of checks. Communicates with program personnel and vendors to reconcile problem invoices.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Codes invoices and matches to receiving documents and purchase orders
- Reviews documents for accuracy; maintains related files
- Prepares documents and enters data in to computer system
- Prepares and processes weekly payments, via checks, credit cards, ACH, as directed; ensures timely payment to vendors
- Effectively manages assigned vendor accounts
- Meets deadlines for available credits, timely processes and posts current invoices, avoids past due payment through diligent efforts
- Coordinates with program personnel and vendors to reconcile discrepancies on purchases and payable documents
- Assists in adjusting journal entry input; backs up Accounts Receivable functions
- Assists in the training of new accounting personnel to VOALA accounting practices and procedures
- Other duties as required to meet department mission, as Directed by Accounts Payable Manager
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- High school diploma (or GED/High School Equivalence Certificate)
- 2 years of Accounts payable experience.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles, regulatory standards and compliance requirements.
- Knowledge of accounting ledger process (General Ledger, and sub-ledgers as appropriate).
- Microsoft operating system: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office. Database familiarity.
- Skilled with 10-key by touch
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Detail oriented, able to accurately interpret data.
- Able to maintain accuracy for a high volume of transactions.
- Sets priorities, handle multiple tasks, organized
- Strong written and verbal communication,
- Skilled problem solving and decision making,
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, including meeting qualitative and quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards
- Prompt, collaborative/team player, regular attendance, adaptable, communicator, organized.
- Accounting Degree
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.