Accountant III (As Needed)
Corporate | Los Angeles, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
- Maintaining accounting data for multiple programs (some with multiple grants)
- Preparing journal entries, worksheets and financial reports using automated as well as hands-on accounting practices using GAAP
- Providing financial analyses (monthly and annually) and participates in budget preparation.
- Preparing billings and financial reports to grantor (monthly, quarterly and annually)
- Working with people of all levels to provide financial support to various programs
- Training new or junior accountants to learn how to manage grant accounting.
- Other tasks as assigned
- Work a flexible schedule, which may include evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business required.
- Minimum of 5 years of accounting experience
- Excellent grasp of accounting principles required
- Demonstrated attention to detail absolutely required
- Excellent computer, math and organizational skills
Special Skills Required to Perform this Position:
- Ability to effectively perform all accounting functions from journal entry through closing
- Able to work independently as well as part of a compassionate, helpful team.
- 2 – 3 years of public accounting and/or experience in not-for-profit organization for grant management
- Limited audit background a plus