Finance and Accounting | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
CORPORATE ADMINISTRATION - Accounting Department
Serving those who serve others. The Accounting Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable. Administers finance operations and fiscal regulatory efforts for over 120 human services programs with over 2000 employees.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Accountant II: Supports assigned VOALA Programs with accounting and reporting services. Provides financial information to Program Managers and Corporate Leadership, by preparing reports, maintaining accounting records and General Ledger and analyzing accounts and program expenditures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains accounting data for multiple programs (some with multiple grants) while managing varying grant requirements
- Prepares journal entries, worksheets, and financial reports using automated as well as hands-on accounting practices following Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Approves AP vouchers and codes expenses and charges
- Analyzes general ledger account and program financial situation
- Prepares monthly billing and Drawdown
- Maintains Accounting controls by following policies and procedures complying with Federal, state and local financial requirement
- Corrects errors by posting adjusting entries in Great Plain Accounting software
- Prepares monthly, quarterly, yearly closeout reports for funders
- Maintains simple accounts and balance reconciliation
- Provide financial analyses and supports Program budget preparation
- Creates program and corporate budgets
- Analyzes program budget vs. actual expenditures
- Monitors program actual expenditures and compare to budget and make recommendations to align actual expenses to budget
- Assists in program start-up and RFP
- Coordinates program contract execution and submission
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4 years of general accounting experience or 2 years of public accounting experience
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles (GAAP) required.
- Advanced Microsoft operating system skill: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Familiar with internet applications, including accounting software.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong written and verbal communication,
- Sets priorities, handle multiple tasks, organized
- Skilled problem solving and decision making,
- Detail oriented, able to accurately interpret data.
- Prompt, collaborative/team player, regular attendance, adaptable, communicator, organized.
- Bachelor’s in finance, business or accounting
- Accounting experience in federal grant reporting and grant management
- Experience working in public or large publicly funded non-profit organization
- Limited audit background
- Experienced with Great Plain accounting software
VOALA BENEFITS SUMMARY:
- Choice of 3 medical insurance plans
- Choice of 2 dental insurance plans (one plan for employee only; has no premium)
- Vision insurance plan
- Voluntary Supplemental Coverage
- Accidental Injury Coverage
- Hospital Care Coverage
- Critical Illness Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Paid vacation time
- Paid sick time
- 10 company paid holidays
- Company funded 401a retirement pension plan
- Optional employee contribution to 403b retirement savings plan
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Programs to maintain your health and well-being
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) – (No cost to employee and 100% confidential)
- Company funded Short-term Disability Insurance (STDI) Insurance
- Company funded Long-term Disability Insurance (LTD)
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify as required by the federal government and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.