Finance and Accounting | Los Angeles, CA | Full Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Serving those who serve others. The Accounting Department of VOALA is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service to those who aid our communities’ most vulnerable. Administers finance operations and fiscal regulatory efforts for over 120 human services programs with over 2000 employees.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
Accountant I: Provides financial information by preparing reports, maintaining accounting records and general Ledger and analyzing accounts and program expenditures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Approves AP vouchers and codes expenses and charges
- Analyzes general ledger account and program financial situation
- Prepares monthly billing and Drawdown
- Maintains Accounting controls by following policies and procedures complying with Federal, state and local financial requirement
- Corrects errors by posting adjusting entries in Great Plain Accounting software
- Prepares monthly, quarterly, yearly closeout reports for funders
- Maintains simple accounts and balance reconciliation
- Other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 3 years of Accounting/Bookkeeping experience
- Microsoft operating system Including: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and internet applications
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Ability to sets priorities, handle multiple tasks, and organizational skills
- Skilled problem solving and decision making
- Detail oriented and able to accurately interpret data
- Prompt, collaborative/team player, regular attendance, adaptable, communicator, and organized
- Bachelor’s in finance, business or accounting
- Accounting experience in federal grant reporting and grant management
- Experience working in public and/or non-profit organization
- Great Plain accounting software
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.