Academic Tutor Spanish Upward Bound Pacoima
Upward Bound - Talent Search - TRIO | Pacoima, CA | Part Time
***** Pay rate: $14.93 *****
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Serving students at Roosevelt High, Dorsey High, Crenshaw High, Washington Preparatory, Leuzinger, North Hollywood High, San Fernando High, Polytechnic High, Sun Valley and Westminster High. Upward Bound provides fundamental support and preparation for college. Serving more than 500 students annually from low-income families and/or high school students from families in which neither parent holds a college degree.
Upward Bound is one of seven federally-funded TRiO programs. The Upward Bound program was established to provided fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal is to increase the rate at which participants complete the secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education. We provide after-school academic instruction in core subjects and foreign languages, as well as PSAT, SAT, and ACT test preparation. Career exploration and mentoring are also an integral component to assist participants in deciding on potential college majors and career options.
We also provide college and career planning workshops, a summer program, individualized academic planning and counseling, financial aid advising, scholarship and application assistance, supplemental Saturday instruction and weekly tutoring as well as college and cultural field trips and an alumni program.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Academic Tutor conducts tutoring sessions to help program participants develop the skills required to master academic course material in specific subjects such as Math, English, Science, etc. as directed by the Lead Tutor. Provide individual and small group tutoring to students after-school through homework help and class material review. The Academic Tutor will also help develop and implement enrichment activities to enhance the participant's academic and social development. Other assistance might include; creating engagement activities and leading math and college preparatory workshops.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead academic tutoring sessions to help program participants develop the skills required to master academic course material
- Coordinates daily homework assistance and tutoring program for students
- Develop and execute lesson plans in accordance with California Content Standards
- Assist in the creation of learning activities and other department objectives
- Complete tutorial log daily and complete monthly reports
- Enforce all rules and regulation with each participant equally
- Monitor the use of tutoring resources (laptops, calculators, books, etc.) during tutoring session
- Set up materials and prepare the classroom for the day's activities.
- Keep written logs of students' and observations and progress
- Communicate with Lead Tutor, Project Advisor, and Director concerning the participants
- General clerical work (filing, copying, typing, faxing, answering phones, etc.)
Mentoring and Workshops
- Mentor students about the college experience
- Present and lead workshops on topics around college/careers/financial literacy/leadership development as needed
- Monitor and supervise students during field trips when needed
- Other duties as required
- Current college freshman or higher with a mastery of target subject
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA in area of competency
- 1 year of tutoring experience
- Basic to intermediate knowledge in target subject and have mastery of concepts that pertain to required subject
- Excellent Microsoft operating system navigation, outlook, word, excel, power-point, internet browser
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to effectively tutor students and track academic progress
- Ability to assess academic needs and evaluate participants in an academic setting
- Ability to be flexible in working during the required schedule
- Ability to mentor high school students with academic support to improve their GPA, grades, and skills
- Ability to teach in other areas as needed to improve student’s subject comprehension
- Build rapport with students in all aspects
- Build trust, act trustworthy
- Active listening (reflective listening)
- Follow instructions and VOALA procedures
- Able to identify successes, challenges, and barriers impacting the completion of plans prepared for students transitioning from High School to College
- Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting the students
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.