Academic Tutor Multiple Subjects Talent Search North Hollywood
Upward Bound - Talent Search - TRIO | North Hollywood, CA | Part Time
Helping Our Most Vulnerable Change Their Life Stories
Volunteers of America is a non-profit human services organization committed to serving people in need, strengthening families, and building communities. VOALA provides a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Education – Education Talent Search
VOALA’S Education Talent Search (ETS) program helps to encourage low income and potential first-generation college students to complete secondary school; enroll in postsecondary education; and seek financial aid. Providing support and information on all aspects of planning for admission to – and graduation from – a post-secondary institution. The primary focus of the ETS program is to identify low-income, first-generation students who are at risk of dropping out of high school. ETS provides advancement information to assist students in graduating from high school, completing their A-G requirements, and assisting them in planning for college entrance exams as well as college and financial aid applications, as well as career development assistance.
JOB SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The Academic Tutor supervises academic tutoring sessions to help program participants develop the skills required to master academic course material in specific subjects such as Math, English, Science, etc. as stated by the Lead Tutor. Provide individual and small group tutoring to students after-school through homework help and/or class material review. The Academic Tutor will also help develop and implement enrichment activities to enhance the participant's academic and social development. Other assistance might include; creating engagement activities and leading math and/or college preparatory workshops.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead academic tutoring sessions to help participants develop the skills required to master academic material
- Coordinates daily homework assistance and tutoring program for students
- Develop lesson plans and tutor in accordance with California Content Standards
- Assist in the creation of learning activities and other department objectives
- Complete tutorial log daily and complete monthly reports
- Monitor the use of tutoring resources (laptops, calculators, books, etc.) during tutoring session
- Set up materials and prepare the classroom for the day's activities.
- Keep written logs of students' and observations and progress
- Communicate with Lead Tutor, Project Advisor, and Director concerning the participants
- Mentor students about the college experience
- Present and lead workshops on topics around college/careers/financial literacy/leadership development as needed
- Monitor and supervise students during field trips when needed
Other duties as required and is subject to change at any time
- Must be able to pass a fingerprint clearance, background check, including criminal history, personal references, employment and education verifications
- Current college freshman or higher with a mastery of target subject
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA in area of competency
- 1 year of tutoring experience
- Basic to intermediate knowledge in target subject and have mastery of concepts that pertain to required subject
- Excellent Microsoft operating system navigation, outlook, word, excel, power-point, internet browser
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to effectively tutor students and track academic progress
- Ability to assess academic needs and evaluate participants in an academic setting
- Ability to be flexible in working during the required schedule
- Ability to mentor high school students with academic support to improve their GPA, grades, and skills
- Ability to teach in other areas as needed to improve student’s subject comprehension
- Build rapport with students in all aspects
- Build trust, act trustworthy
- Active listening (reflective listening)
- Follow instructions and VOALA procedures
- Able to identify successes, challenges, and barriers impacting the completion of plans prepared for students transiting from High School to College
- Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting the students
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form 1-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (OHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.