Academic Advisor (Upward Bound- Pacoima)
Upward Bound - Talent Search - TRIO | Pacoima, CA | Part Time
Volunteers of America of Greater Los Angeles is a large, national not-for-profit organization founded in 1896. We provide a variety of social services to Los Angeles area communities such as Head Start programs, Upward Bound college prep programs, veterans’ services, homeless shelters, low-income housing program as well as drug and alcohol rehabilitation. Learn more at www.voala.org.
Upward Bound is one of seven federally-funded TRiO programs. The Upward Bound program was established to provided fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal is to increase the rate at which participants complete the secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.
The Educational Advisor is responsible for preparing Upward Bound participants for high school graduation and post-secondary education. This will be attained with the provision of services and activities that will enhance motivation and improved graduation rates.
- Ensure that program objectives are met annually
- Proficiency in online tools/resources: CSU Mentor, University of California
- Doorways AG Requirements, Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- SAT/ ACT College entrance Exam Registration, California Colleges and Career Exploration
- Recruit, select, enroll and manage caseload of 65 students
- Provide participants at the target school with academic advising and planning career awareness and assessment, postsecondary option information and application assistance to ensure successful graduation from secondary school and enrollment in post-secondary institution
- Perform classroom observations to assess quality of instruction and student engagement.
- Enter data into Blumen database keeping track of the student's contacts and the tutoring hours
- Report to Project Director and/or Directors employed with the program
- Assist in planning, coordinating supervising and attending program activities and field trips
- Take an active role with the participant's discipline process, including but not limited to: write-ups; Verbal warnings; and communication with parent/guardian
- Prepare an intervention plan for student's performing at a grade of C and below
- Actively supervise program participants during group activities ensuring the safety of all participants.
- Responsible for assisting the development and implementation of the Summer Program and the Academic Year Program.
- Collaborate with other agencies and other VOA programs
- Work as a team member aiding in the efficiency and effectiveness of the program
- Develop curriculum and implement workshops/seminars on college and career planning, financial literacy and personal development.
- Maintain organized, accurate, and up to date files and records on participants documenting and detailing services provided, student progress and outcomes.
- Coordinate tutorial services by supervising, monitoring, and supporting tutors and teachers during weekly tutoring and Saturday Academy sessions.
- Assist with the collection of data for the Annual Performance Report (APR)
- Refer participants and parents to specific outside resources as needed
- Additional duties as assigned
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree
- Must have at least 2 years of experience in an educational setting, TRiO experience, preferred
- Must be comfortable with public speaking
- Able to work with large groups of students
- Able to work independently
- Able to facilitate group presentations