Volunteer Recruitment Assistant
Program | San Diego, CA | Full Time
Title: Volunteer Recruitment Assistant
Reports to: Manager of Volunteer Recruitment
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Voices for Children is the Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) program for San Diego and Riverside Counties. The mission of Voices for Children is to transform the lives of abused children by providing them with Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASAs). VFC believes that every child deserves a safe and permanent home, and to that end, our vision is to provide a CASA to every child in foster care who needs one, monitor every court file in the system, and advocate to improve the lives of San Diego County’s foster children.
Recruited, trained, and supervised by VFC, our volunteer CASAs interface with key agencies, legal counsel, and community resources to identify and protect the best interests of each foster child. CASAs act as fact finders for the juvenile court judge to ensure decisions are based on the most current and pertinent information about each child’s situation. CASAs also provide emotional support as they guide their case children through the complex foster care system. CASAs strive to ensure that each child’s unique needs are met.
Overview of the Position
The Volunteer Recruitment Assistant will: (1) assist with the volunteer recruitment and outreach efforts for the organization; (2) process volunteer inquiries and schedule Information Session attendance and initial interviews; and (3) assist with the screening of applicants to the CASA Program.
- Interface with potential volunteers by processing and responding to all inquiries; maintain communication with timely responses.
- Collect Information Session RSVPs and schedule applicants for initial interviews; send reminders to applicants; assist with staff schedules for initial interviews.
- Assist with volunteer Information Sessions and represent VFC at community events, as needed.
- Participate in screening of applicants to the CASA Program through review of volunteer applications and initial interview forms and conducting initial interviews.
- Support Outreach Team meetings and trainings, including tracking attendance, preparation of materials, and maintenance of minutes, as needed.
- Assist with event logistics, planning, and registrations for The Real Word presentations and other outreach events, as needed.
- Maintain volunteer recruitment files and accurate database records.
- Process volunteer database reports.
- Provide clerical support for projects with the Manager of Volunteer Recruitment, as needed.
- All other duties as assigned by the President/CEO, Vice President of Programs, or Manager of Volunteer Recruitment.
Education & Required Skills
- A Bachelor’s degree is preferred or equivalent work experience, including experience with volunteer management, customer service, office management and/or clerical support.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, time-management, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be flexible, well-organized, and able to manage different projects concurrently, often under pressure; able to set priorities and manage time effectively.
- Must be proficient with current Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Familiarity and facility with database systems.
- Experience in the use of basic office equipment (computers, copiers, printers, postage meter, fax machine, etc.).
- Must be able to deal effectively, diplomatically, and tactfully with volunteer applicants, Board members, volunteer leaders, donors, and other support constituencies, vendors, and the general public.
- Must have access to an automobile for local travel; valid California driver's license and automobile insurance required.
- Must meet the background screening requirements of Voices for Children, including a DMV record review, FBI and DOJ fingerprinting, and a check of the Child Abuse Central Index.
Standard work week is 40 hours; however, employees are expected to work any additional time necessary to meet deadlines and complete assignments. Evenings and weekends may be required. Additional hours are subject to overtime pay. The VFC office shall be open for business during the following hours, except as hereinafter noted: Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Coverage at the office by the program and office staff shall be according to such schedule as developed by the President/CEO.
- Able to lift 25 lbs
- Able to bend and stoop
- Able to sit for prolonged periods of time
- Able to sit at a desk and view a computer screen for up to two hours
- Able to speak into and use a telephone for long periods of time
- Professional office environment
- Fast paced work with multi-level distractions
- Able to drive and travel in the San Diego region
- Able to work extended hours as needed, with some nights and weekends required
Pay rate: $16/hr
Please apply here. No phone calls, please. Position open immediately and will remain open until filled.
NOTE: Your application should include:
- Cover letter (including salary requirement)
Voices for Children is an Equal Opportunity Employer