VP of Clinical & Medical Operations
Clinical and Medical Operations | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
The impact of chronic conditions on health care is immense: chronic diseases, including diabetes and heart disease, affect up to 1 in 3 individuals. Up to 1 in 4 people also struggle with mental health concerns. These chronic conditions drive 80% of the over $3 trillion dollars we spend on healthcare in the US.
Vida is a virtual care company that combines a human-centric approach with technology to address chronic and co-occurring physical and behavioral health conditions. We provide personalized chronic condition management combined with health coaching and therapy through a mobile and online platform that supports individuals in managing and significantly improving conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, obesity, depression, anxiety, etc. Our platform integrates deeply individual expert care with machine learning and remote monitoring to deliver lasting behavior change, health outcomes and cost savings.
Vida is in the business of enabling self-insured employers, health plans and providers to take better care of their employees and members. We are trusted by Fortune 1000 companies, major national payers, and large providers to activate, engage, and empower their employees to live their healthiest lives. Based in San Francisco, CA, Vida is backed by investors including Canvas, Workday, Aspect, Khosla Ventures, Stanford, AME, and Nokia.
About the role:
A critical part of our work involves continuing to iterate and build on our unique approach to helping these individuals reduce their risk and better manage their health. We are looking for a VP of Medical & Clinical Operations who will be responsible for executive oversight and overall management of all existing and under development health digital care programs offered as a part of Vida Health’s virtual chronic care platform.
Key responsibilities will include leading and coordinating the clinical operations functions including digital care program management, managing clinical trials and research, proactively engaging with key opinion leaders in the industry, and providing strategic guidance on the future of digital health.
This position will work closely with executive leadership in addition to the Clinical Development and Coaching Operations teams, in addition to Product Management and Engineering. The VP of Medical and Clinical Operations will also serve as a key champion for Vida’s evidenced-based culture.
You would be a physician by training with experience managing patients as well as doing medical research and you aspire to leverage technology to provide scalable solutions that offer the right approaches to the right people, with an eye towards measurably improving health outcomes.
- Provide operational and clinical expertise and strategic insights to develop a life-cycle strategy for all of Vida’s existing digital care programs and programs under development.
- Incorporate the best available evidence from the literature into the design of Vida’s interventions
- Responsible for all clinical operations; recruit, hire, and train/manage to support the delivery of Vida’s programs for various chronic conditions
- Partner with R&D team by providing clinical input to product development; strategize on program requirements and development priorities
- Monitor the design and implementation of clinical studies for regulatory and commercial purposes to assess outcomes from Vida’s programs
- Serve as a subject matter expert in external discussions; engage KOLs in the healthcare industry
- Work with Regulatory and Quality to ensure clinical program compliance
Required skills and qualifications:
- 10+ years of overall experience with experience in de novo program development based on literature and focused on achievement of specific outcomes, ideally in the context of delivering interventions via a technical platform (either desktop of mobile)
- MD or MD/PhD required
- Experiencing managing teams and operations at some scale
- Some practical experience managing patients post residency
- Deep knowledge of behavioral interventions and approaches to behavior change in the context of healthcare solutions
- Experience in developing and delivering training to others on the delivery of a program
- Experience working with and building credibility with industry leaders (medical directors, institutional leaders, principal investigators, key opinion leaders, etc)
- Experience performing independent assessments of peer-reviewed literature
- Ability to independently plan and manage complex projects and meet deadlines
- Proactive and collaborative working style
- Strong problem-solving, communication, and leadership skills
- Working experience in a startup is strongly preferred
- Open to limited travel
- Knowledge of and experience in the digital and mobile health space
- Experience working with multidisciplinary technical teams including product managers, designers, and engineers
- Experience in clinical trial operations
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive compensation including stock options
- A health-oriented office culture including walking 1:1s, healthy food & snacks, fitness challenges, and weekly team runs
- Health, Vision, Dental Benefits
- Flexible vacation time
- FSA and Commuter benefits
ABOUT VIDA HEALTH: Vida is a next generation continuous care platform for both consumers and businesses, combining a consumer mobile app, an enterprise care platform offering on demand 24/7 solutions for chronic conditions. Vida platform runs in the cloud, captures real-time data from 100+ devices and apps, and integrates back to the employer, payer, and provider. 133 million people in the U.S. live with a chronic condition, 70% of the $3T healthcare spend in the U.S. goes to preventable chronic conditions.