Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure
Engineering | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
At Vida Health, we are passionate about transforming lives through better health. We live our vision everyday by creating solutions for preventing and reversing chronic conditions resulting in lower health care costs and better lifestyles for our customers.
We are a passionate team that loves building solutions to enable great outcomes for our members. The team is small enough that you can make an immediate impact on our products but also big enough for you to find your niche and focus on a particular area or technology to transform and further your career aspirations.
Our Infrastructure team works on an exciting mix of projects. We spend about half our time building features and APIs to enable our mobile and web teams to deliver awesome customer experiences. The other half is spent on horizontal backend systems, with the goal of solving our immediate problems while also being scalable and flexible enough that they can be used creatively to solve other problems in the future. We are a horizontal team that works with every other engineering team at the company.
General Infra Responsibilities:
- Design and build distributed infrastructure services which enable multiple applications for the rapid member growth at Vida.
- Re-architect and enhance existing services in a monolith to a distributed architecture - search, content services etc.
- Collaborate across the company to design back end models and APIs for use by applications
- Scale distributed applications, make architectural tradeoffs applying synchronous and asynchronous design patterns, write code, and deliver with speed and quality
- Produce high quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed, and checked in regularly for continuous integration
- Build tools, frameworks, and platforms for various SDLC stages (build, deploy etc.) as well as operational aspects (logging, monitoring, metrics measurement)
Senior Software Engineer Responsibilities:
- Mentor interns and junior team members in technical and teamwork skills
- Take vague problem statements from the product team, and work with design, mobile/frontend, and your infra teammates to plan and architect out a specific, actionable plan the entire team can execute on.
- Demonstrate strong ownership of your work: test and validate it during release, continue monitoring it after launch, and understand how users actually use it by analyzing our metrics and tracking data
- Strong object oriented skills
- Excellent knowledge of computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design.
- Experience with object oriented design, coding, testing patterns, and programming languages (Java, Python, C++, C#, etc.)
- Experience with relational databases (transactional and non-transactional), NoSQL, database architecture
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A relentless focus on delivering maximum value to the end user
- Ownership mindset: Be excited about monitoring and alerting on your systems, be ready to query your own tracking data to find out how your feature is doing
Senior Software Engineering Qualifications:
- 3+ years of relevant work experience
- Has a track record of delivering high quality products/services, meeting agreed to commitments consistently with quality.
- Actively contributes to creating/sustaining a culture of engineering excellence - hire great engineers, lead, mentor, take charge and get things done.
- Experience with monitoring and alerting systems such as NewRelic, DataDog, Grafana.
- Experience with asynchronous systems such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, PubSub, Kinesis.
- Experience with container based deployments such as Docker and Kubernetes.
Technologies we use:
- Python (Flask and Django)
- Google Cloud (Kubernetes, PubSub, BigQuery, DataStore)
- AWS (S3, Kinesis)
- Monitoring (New Relic and Datadog)
- MySQL and Postgres
- OpenAPI and GraphQL
- Tracking (Snowplow)
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation including stock options
- A health-oriented office culture including walking 1:1s, healthy food & snacks, fitness challenges, and weekly team runs
- Health, Vision, Dental Benefits
- Flexible vacation time
- FSA and Commuter benefits
- 401K (no company match at this time)
ABOUT VIDA HEALTH: Vida is a next generation continuous care platform for both consumers and businesses, combining a consumer mobile app, an enterprise care platform offering on demand 24/7 solutions for chronic conditions. Vida platform runs in the cloud, captures real-time data from 100+ devices and apps, and integrates back to the employer, payer, and provider. 133 million people in the U.S. live with a chronic condition, 70% of the $3T healthcare spend in the U.S. goes to preventable chronic conditions.