Senior Android Engineer
Engineering | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
At Vida Health, we are passionate about transforming lives through better health. We engineer digital care solutions that help people be healthy in mind and body, stay accountable, and feel their best. We serve people who are at risk for or live with expensive, challenging chronic conditions like diabetes, obesity, and depression—that’s currently 133 million people in the U.S. alone, and 70% of the $3T annual healthcare spend is attributable to preventable chronic conditions. We aim to change the trajectory.
Our efficient, creative, and dedicated engineering team is:
Small enough that you will make and see an immediate impact on our products and business
Big enough for you to grow your skills and career prospects in a particular area or technology
Integrated with clinical, product, data, and business development—no silos!
The career opportunity: Develop and improve our native app for Android. The ideal candidate will be passionate about providing the best experience possible to our users—from UI/UX design to speed and performance. This position is full-time and based in our San Francisco office, located in FIDI a minute’s walk from the Montgomery BART station.
- Design and execute user-facing features for the Vida native apps on Android devices by leveraging mobile operating system frameworks for multi-threading, persisting data, and managing user experience and graphics across multiple screen sizes
- Scale distributed applications, make architectural tradeoffs applying synchronous and asynchronous design patterns, write code, and deliver with speed and quality
- Produce high quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed, and checked in regularly for continuous integration
- Provide technical leadership, driving and performing best engineering practices to initiate, plan, and execute large-scale, cross functional, and company-wise critical programs
- Identify, leverage, and successfully evangelize opportunities to improve engineering productivity
- Mentor other engineers and lead the technical direction of our mobile app
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or 4+ years of related practical experience
- 2+ years’ experience programming experience in Java or Kotlin
- Expansive technical knowledge and experience with Android application development
BS + 5 years of relevant work experience, MS + 3 years of relevant work experience, or PhD + 2 years of relevant work experience
Deep foundation in computer science with a strong understanding of data structures and algorithms
Knowledge of UI and animation frameworks, touch user interface, and MVVM application design
Experience building with reactive patterns using RXJava
Strong object-oriented skills including design, coding, and testing patterns
Familiarity with functional programming
Benefits & Perks
Competitive compensation including stock options
A health-oriented office culture including a gym stipend, in-building gym, walking 1:1s, healthy food & snacks, fitness challenges, and weekly group workouts and runs
Health, Vision, Dental Benefits
Flexible vacation time
Weekly dedicated work-from-home day and a flexible policy in general
FSA and Commuter benefits
401K (no company match at this time)
ABOUT VIDA HEALTH: Vida is a next-generation continuous care platform for both consumers and businesses. We provide expert, personalized, on-demand health coaching and programs from a network of credentialed health care providers and leading medical institutions. The Vida platform runs in the cloud, captures real-time data from 100+ health devices and apps, and integrates with the health improvement efforts of employers, payers, and providers.