Engineering Manager - Backend/Infrastructure Software
Engineering | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
The impact of chronic conditions on health care is immense: chronic diseases, including diabetes and heart disease, affect up to 1 in 3 individuals. Up to 1 in 4 people also struggle with mental health concerns. These chronic conditions drive 80% of the over $3 trillion dollars we spend on healthcare in the US.
Vida Health is working to address this need. Our goal is to help people better manage their health by making positive changes to the way they live. Using our mobile-first platform, we connect people to programs backed by research and give them one-on-one support from personal health coaches or therapists. Clients meet with their coaches or therapists using secure in-app video chat and messaging. By collecting real-time data from the client and their devices, Vida is able to guide clients’ progress over time and help them make sustainable improvements to their health.
About the role:
The Enterprise Infrastructure Engineering Manager is responsible for leading a team of full stack and backend software engineers, focused on building and enhancing our infrastructure applications for both Vida’s enterprise customers and Vida’s own infrastructure needs in the area of information security.
Considering the majority of customers are from enterprises, this position is pivotal to our success. In this role, you will collaborate closely with product, design, clinical and coaching, in addition to other engineering managers. As the enterprise infrastructure manager, you will be responsible for the enterprise software technology roadmap, app performance, team development, etc. This position reports to the VP of Engineering.
You have lead strong infrastructure and/or full stack software engineers. You have worked on large-scale problems and built robust high quality apps for a large user base. You understand modern web software architecture, and have dealt with scalability issues. You have built applications with information security as a top concern. You have been successful in not just hiring top software engineering talent, but effectively retained such talent. You are a hands-on technical manager, who still enjoys writing code and being a part of solving a pesky problem.
- Own the execution and delivery of our enterprise infrastructure application roadmap
- Own the execution and delivery of information security policies, procedures and initiatives in our software
- Align engineering initiatives with strategic objectives of the company
- Make talent acquisition a priority - help set and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for the team. Play an active role in sourcing and interviewing top talent.
- Mentor and develop engineers while keeping them engaged and focused on the product and company vision
- Promote communication, collaboration and engagement both within engineering teams and across cross-functional teams
- Help recommend and implement new technologies, processes, and policies as needed
- Identify and track critical diagnostic metrics for the health and growth of our core technologies
Required skills and qualifications:
- 7-10 years of overall experience with at least 2+ years as an infrastructure or full-stack engineering manager
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field required. MS or PhD a plus
- Proven track record of shipping highly available and secure backend and full-stack applications
- Significant hands-on experience with full-stack or backend software
- Experience managing and mentoring high-performance engineering teams
- Stay current with technology trends in the area of application architecture, and in best practices within the full-stack development eco-system with emphasis on information security
- Highly organized, with the ability to make rapid decisions in a fast paced environment
- Backend platforms and languages
- App development experience in healthcare field a plus
- HIPAA compliance and its ramifications on software development
Benefits & Perks
Competitive compensation including stock options
A health-oriented office culture including walking 1:1s, healthy food & snacks, fitness challenges, and weekly team runs
Health, Vision, Dental Benefits
Flexible vacation time
FSA and Commuter benefits
401K (no company match at this time)
ABOUT VIDA HEALTH: Vida is a next generation continuous care platform for both consumers and businesses, combining a consumer mobile app, an enterprise care platform offering on demand 24/7 solutions for chronic conditions. Vida platform runs in the cloud, captures real-time data from 100+ devices and apps, and integrates back to the employer, payer, and provider. 133 million people in the U.S. live with a chronic condition, 70% of the $3T healthcare spend in the U.S. goes to preventable chronic conditions.