Director / Head of Coaching
Clinical and Coaching | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
The impact of chronic conditions on health care is immense: chronic diseases, including diabetes and heart disease, affect up to 1 in 3 individuals. Up to 1 in 4 people also struggle with mental health concerns. These chronic conditions drive 80% of the over $3 trillion dollars we spend on health care in the US.
Vida Health is working to address this need. Our goal is to help people better manage their health by making positive changes to the way they live. Using our mobile-first platform, we connect people to programs backed by research and give them one-on-one support from personal health coaches or therapists. Clients meet with their coaches or therapists using secure in-app video chat and messaging. By collecting real-time data from the client and their devices, Vida is able to guide clients’ progress over time and help them make sustainable improvements to their health.
About the role:
A critical part of our work involves the human element of our approach. Our health coaches play a key role in working with clients to help them take ownership of their health, find their internal motivation, problem solve, and achieve their health goals. They also help ensure that we are able to continue to iterate and build on our product and overall user experience.
The Head of Coaching will manage all aspects of our coaching network. They will be responsible for scaling our approach effectively, managing with an eye toward the business needs around operational efficiency, the clinical needs around outcome achievement and engagement, and the coaching needs around personnel development and management. In doing so, they will serve as the primary owner of the structure of the department, including determining when and how to use contract vs employed coaches, training coaches toward better use of Vida’s programs and content, and defining and managing key operational metrics. They will also serve as a key champion for Vida’s evidence based culture. This role reports to the Vice President, Medical and Clinical Operations.
You are a successful manager of people, well versed in how to scale an organization and deliver on key operational metrics in the process, while maintaining a human touch. You have some background in behavior change principles as well as the evidence on interventions to support people in learning to manage their conditions, either as a coach or in a prior clinical role. You have deep knowledge of, and experience in operations. You aspire to leverage technology and personalization to provide the right approaches to the right people, with an eye towards measurably improving health outcomes.
- Lead Vida’s coaching department by setting policies, managing key metrics, and ensuring consistency of use of Vida’s behavior change solutions
- Recruit, hire, and train coaches from appropriate backgrounds to support the delivery of Vida’s programs
- Design and implement operational workflows for coaches with an eye towards balancing efficiency and outcomes
- Work with product, clinical, and design leads on program and product requirements that support clients, coaches, and Vida’s organizational priorities
- Assist with the implementation of prospective studies to assess outcomes from Vida’s programs
- Support training of sales staff on coaching techniques and operations
Required skills and qualifications:
- 7-10 years of overall experience with substantial experience in operational or coaching leadership. Experience focused on achievement of specific outcomes in the context of delivering interventions via a technical platform (either desktop of mobile) would be a major plus.
- Proven experience scaling a team
- Understanding of behavioral interventions and approaches to behavior change
- Experience in developing and delivering training to others
- Knowledge of health coaching techniques and approaches
- Experience performing independent assessments of peer-reviewed literature
- Ability to independently plan and manage complex projects and meet deadlines
- Proactive and collaborative working style
- Master’s degree in a health or scientific discipline
- Knowledge of, and experience in the digital and mobile health space
- Startup experience
- Experience working with multidisciplinary technical teams including product managers, designers, clinical leaders, and engineers
- Experience in clinical trial operations
- Coaching certification preferred
- Competitive compensation including stock options
- A health-oriented office culture including walking 1:1s, healthy food & snacks, fitness challenges, and weekly team runs and Yoga classes
- Health, Vision, Dental Benefits
- Flexible vacation time