Associate Director, Financial Planning & Analysis
G&A | Hybrid in Brisbane, CA | Full Time
Vera Therapeutics (Nasdaq: VERA), is a late-stage biotechnology company focused on developing treatments for serious immunological diseases. Vera’s mission is to advance treatments that target the source of immunologic diseases in order to change the standard of care for patients. Vera’s lead product candidate is atacicept, a fusion protein self-administered as a subcutaneous injection once weekly that blocks both B lymphocyte stimulator (BLyS) and a proliferation inducing ligand (APRIL), which stimulate B cells and plasma cells to produce autoantibodies contributing to certain autoimmune diseases, including IgA nephropathy (IgAN), also known as Berger’s disease and lupus nephritis. In addition, Vera is evaluating additional diseases where the reduction of autoantibodies by atacicept may prove medically useful. Vera is also developing MAU868, a monoclonal antibody designed to neutralize infection with BK Virus, a polyomavirus that can have devastating consequences in certain settings such as kidney transplant. For more information please visit: www.veratx.com.
Our values are the cornerstone of our culture. Our values inspire us every day and guide everything we do—from how we hire great people, to advancing our mission together, to achieving our ultimate goal to improve medical treatment for patients suffering from immunological diseases.
We seek a highly skilled and motivated Associate Director, Financial Planning & Analysis to join a fast-paced and collaborative team. The position will report to the Chief Accounting Officer and will be responsible for the in-house day-to-day operational activities for the successful execution of conducting various financial activities including budgeting, modeling, forecasting, and reporting to support decision-making by senior management. The person in this role will plan, organize, and coordinate fiscal planning, development, implementation, and monitoring of all product lines. This role will monitor actual financial performance and compare to budget and/or forecast projections, analyze, and interpret variances, prepare a variety of reports, and provide recommendations.
- Lead semi-annual business budget and cash flow planning and forecast update processes, coordinate financial information flow between business function teams and the finance team. Investigate actual to budget/forecast variances in the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports. Leverage business knowledge to obtain in-depth understanding of and explanations for variances.
- Work closely with accounting to ensure financial statements and forecasting methodologies are consistent.
- Continuously improve financial reporting and coordinate production of the monthly reporting package for senior management, and periodic summaries for Board of Directors.
- Develop a deep understanding of all aspects of the business, particularly, specific assigned development compounds and/or clinical trials, in order to critically analyze financial reports and budget submissions.
- Responsibility for the monthly preparation of elements of the clinical trial accruals. Assist in the ongoing improvement of this process.
- Assist with analysis and financial perspective in support of corporate strategic direction.
- Identify, lead implementation of and manage financial planning system, and integrate budgets and forecasts with other corporate management systems to improve financial results tracking, financial reporting, and the control environment.
- Manage ad-hoc requests and analysis.
- 7+ years of experience, preferred clinical-stage biopharma industry, of internal financial reporting and/or business planning, forecasting, and analysis experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or economics; CPA preferred
- Collaborative working style with excellent consultative, project management, problem solving, and presentation skills.
- Experience working in small to medium sized biotech strongly preferred, with proven ability to impact company culture and demonstrated flexibility.
- Exceptional numeric skills. Ability to use numbers to explore issues and express logic, able to translate numeric results into underlying issues and organizational implications.
- Extremely organized, strong attention to detail, and good problem solving and time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with excellent oral and written communications.
- Knowledge of GAAP.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel skills (i.e., ability to create and update complex modeling spreadsheets).
- Experience with NetSuite a plus.
- Proficient in PowerPoint.
- Ability to operate in alignment with Vera’s core values.
Vera Therapeutics Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.