Utility Line Locator - Portland OR (Starting Pay $16.50)
Damage Prevention | Portland, OR | Full Time
This is a great opportunity to join Locating, Inc.
Locating, Inc. a leading provider of quality underground utility damage prevention for over three decades, is seeking career-minded, self-motivated individuals to join our organization. With our headquarters in Alpharetta, Georgia, we now have more than 300 personnel providing damage prevention services. Founded in 1984, Locating, Inc. is a subsidiary of Dycom Industries, a leading provider of specialty contracting services to the telecommunications and infrastructure industry.
Under the direction of a company supervisor, performs work that involves visual inspection of predefined construction areas and reading and interpretation of utility maps to determine the presence of underground utilities, while using special electronic equipment to actually detect and locate said utilities. The utilities may include (but not be limited to) gas, electric, cable TV, telecommunications, sanitary sewer, water lines, street lighting and other facilities within the predefined construction area.
Along with the opportunity to grow and succeed, we offer 100% paid training that exceeds industry standards, a company issued light pickup truck, military grade computer with access to state of the art innovative technology, safety gear including boots, and locating equipment. Locating Inc. believes in promoting from within. Become a part of a team where we believe in exceeding our customer’s expectation for quality, professionalism and value.
- Use lap-top computer or other devices to receive, document and close out excavation notices, both during normal hours and after hours.
- Read and interpret utility maps / prints to identify the type and size of underground utilities.
- Use assigned communication equipment to effectively communicate with excavators, utility reps, and company personnel, regarding underground facilities.
- Operate different electronic detection equipment, to locate and mark under-ground facilities within prescribed accuracy limits.
- Perform light excavation with a shovel, to expose buried utilities when necessary.
- Provide accurate documentation and or sketches related to all locates completed.
- Receive and respond to excavation notices during normal and after hours in accordance with established time requirements.
- Operate company vehicle in a safe manner, and maintain a professional appearance.
- Be able to perform manhole entry using assigned equipment and safety devices.
- Perform work in all weather conditions, during normal and after hours.
- High School Diploma, or GED.
- Valid State driver's license, including an MVR record that is deemed acceptable by the company.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background checks.
- Upon employment, will be subject to random drug testing in compliance with federal, state and company guidelines.
Regular use of hands and fingers to operate specialized equipment and tools; reaching overhead above the shoulders and horizontally; bending at the waist; standing and or walking for extended periods of time; hearing and speaking to exchange information; carrying 3-5 lb. electronic locating equipment for extended periods of time; lifting objects up to 50 pounds or lifting in excess of 50 lbs. with tool aids.
- Company vehicle, gas card, cellphone, computer/tablet, work boot vouchers, locating equipment, and safety gear provided
- Paid training
Locating Inc. offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. A wide range of benefit choices is available for our employees and their families, including medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, 401(k) retirement savings plans, stock purchase plans and more.
- Medical/Prescription Plans - Locating Inc. offers medical plan options which include prescription drug benefits.
- Dental Plans - Offers dental insurance options - a high option plan that covers most dental treatments along with diagnostics and preventive care; and a low option plan that covers the basic diagnostics and preventive care.
- Group Vision Plan - A PPO plan where participating doctors provide eye exams and substantial discounts for services and materials.
- Flexible Spending Account - Benefit allows pre-tax dollars to be contributed annually to a reimbursement account for you and your family members' qualified healthcare expenses and dependent care expenses.
- Retirement Savings Plans - 401(K) - Once eligible, employees have the option to invest 1%-75% of their salary. The company will match a portion of this investment.
- Stock Purchase Plan - Allows employees to purchase company stock through payroll deductions.
- Short & Long Term Disability - Groups rates for disability insurance benefits which will replace a portion of your income due to illness or injury.
- Term Life and AD&D Insurance - Life and AD&D insurance at group rate.
- Company Discounts
- Legal Services Insurance - Access to legal professionals at favorable rates.
- Paid Time Off & Paid Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Premium Pay for On-Call work
- Opportunities for Advancement