Chief Marketing Officer
Marketing Department | Beaverton, OR | Full Time
Position Title: Chief Marketing Officer
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Do you want to lead the marketing strategy and marketing department of the United States Tennis Association Pacific Northwest (USTA PNW), a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to promote and develop the sport of tennis throughout the Pacific Northwest, including Oregon, Washington, Alaska and parts of Idaho? Are you someone who applies core business and metric-driven growth practices within the nonprofit sector?
Are you someone who manages and leads passionately and clearly when faced with change and organizational growth opportunities? Are you someone who identifies the best resources to empower your team? Are you someone who is excited about small and large scale partnerships including sponsors, funders, and key agencies?
United States Tennis Association Pacific Northwest (USTA PNW) is looking for a Chief Marketing Officer to lead the marketing team into one of the largest growth phases of the organization to-date. The CMO will strategize regularly with the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer and, in turn, leverage all resources with marketing teams at the home office and remotely to drive revenue and participation, lead innovation within change, expand multiple brands, position the organization for sponsorships and funding, to share the story of USTA PNW particularly as it pertains to our digital presence.
The Chief Marketing Officer will provide structure and mentorship to a growing team of creatives, producers and marketers in the traditional marketing and the digital space. They will identify and employ third-party vendors and freelances as needed.
ABOUT USTA PNW
Established in 1904, USTA PNW is one of 17 sections of the USTA and provides programs and services to 24,000 members, 200 organizational members, and through its RecTennis recreational programs, more than 40,000 participants all ages, abilities, and socio-economic levels.
As part of its model to create play opportunities as well as jobs and trainings for individuals to give back through the sport of tennis locally, USTA PNW employees more than 600 full-time, part-time, and seasonal staff to focus in primary program areas including Adult Competition, Junior Competition, and RecTennis programs in public parks and schools. USTA PNW also oversees a menu of special events, championship tournaments, and platforms for individuals and teams to engage in the lifelong sport of tennis year-round.
USTA PNW expands mission-driven impact through tennis facility operations by revitalizing existing and/or expanding tennis brick and mortar infrastructure and includes operating, managing, and programming the revitalized facilities. Fundraising and development efforts are undertaken to support increased resources for scholarships and Title I schools.
People You Will Work With
- Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer – strategic vision
- Department, Facility, Administrative Leadership – annual planning and alignment of promises and deliverables
- Marketing Teams/Direct Reports – implementation, analysis, and day-to-day marketing tactics; 6-8+ person marketing team across three core locations/headquarters.
- Vendors, Consultants, Freelancers – project based deliverables and expertise
Areas of Focus and Success
- Build upon the Strategic Marketing and Implementation Plan in a way that maintains pace with rapid organizational growth and new opportunity areas.
- Provide structured leadership, clear communication, and mentorship-expertise to a core marketing team in the home office as well as remote teams at facilities and multiple geographical markets.
- Drive registrations and revenues for new and existing programs, services and facilities.
- Drive the USTA PNW, RecTennis, and facility brands at both the grassroots, local level and within the digital space. Tell the story of our brand and participants-customers through purposeful content.
- Position the organization for small and large-scale sponsorships, partnerships and fundraising.
- Be rigorous in financial planning and metrics in relationship to marketing implementation, demonstrating the ROI of tactics and justifying resource investment for the future.
What You’ll Be Doing
Strategy, Implementation, Driving and Measuring ROI:
- Create innovative and scalable marketing strategies and structure implementation plans that build the brand, drive increased awareness, and result in increased revenues and participation in programs and services.
- Interface with Department and Facility leadership in order to align marketing expertise, budget and prescribe plans with programmatic, local and historical knowledge.
- Lead marketing teams in creating aggressive awareness, revenue, and growth targets and meeting seasonal and annual goals effectively.
- Lead marketing teams in implementing traditional marketing (PR, communications, print, local media and events) and digital marketing campaigns across a broad spectrum of marketing channels, in alignment with unique program, services, and special event types.
- Maintain ability to track real-time ROI in order to remain agile and to make timely adjustments by tactic or market. Lead direct reports in prioritizing as adjustments are made.
- Manage existing budget; experiment with innovation budgets; justify continued growth of funding, staff, and resources that are in line with increasing success and growth.
Brand Building, Social Media, Digital
- Oversee digital content, engagement and social media strategies. Lead a team with experience in related technical skills and excitement for areas including paid social media advertising, search engine marketing, adwords, email marketing, e-commerce strategies, influencers, reputation management.
- Oversee creation of dynamic content and digital story-telling in order to position for partnerships, sponsorships and fundraising revenue.
- Oversee creation of platforms for stakeholders and participants to tell their stories of impact.
- Identify technologies and methods to create ongoing engagement and a unique experience.
- Establish industry-best web presence that enables visitors to take action and be engaged.
- Develop campaigns and assets that inspire and turn visitors into participants, supporters, donors.
- Develop campaigns and strategies for retention and re-engagement.
Examples of Key USTA PNW Programs, Services, and Special Events
- RecTennis and Recreational Programming: Provides affordable, accessible tennis and life skills programs in a safe environment for players of all ages and skill levels in a high-energy, fun and social learning environment. Creates local jobs and provides ongoing training. Provides free loaner tennis equipment and need-based scholarships to ensure that price is not a barrier for entry. Partners with hundreds of public and Title I schools, government and cities, public parks and other shared community spaces.
- Tennis Facility Operations: Invests in communities by revitalizing existing and/or expanding tennis brick and mortar infrastructure and then operating, managing and programming at revitalized facilities to create jobs, jump start local economic impact from special events, and provide quality, accessible and affordable play opportunities for the general public.
- Adult Competition products, services, special events: Year-round competitive tournaments and championship events, league play for adults and seniors, intercollegiate special events, as well as social events and match play for local neighborhoods.
- Junior Competition products, services, special events: Myriad of competitive programs committed to the development of junior players ages 6 to 18 to help develop necessary tennis skills and build character through sport; includes year-round special events.
- USTA Services & Net Generation: Interface with USTA and national resources particularly in relation to marketing assets to inspire the next wave of tennis champions and to connect tennis providers and resources.
- Bachelors’ degree required. Masters Degree with specialization in marketing preferred
- 10+ years of marketing and digital experience including serving as key driver in creating strategy
- 10+ years of leadership experience with the ability to mentor and professionally develop a team of multiple direct reports both in-person and remotely
- Focus on continuing education and identifying emerging marketing trends and how to leverage for organizational expansion and success
- Thorough knowledge of marketing and sale principles, brand alignment, new media and digital strategies, new business development, and a demonstrated track record of success in theses areas
- Ability to thrive in changing markets and complex, organizational dynamics; ability to identify the opportunities and translate them into actionable strategies
- Experience creating content and digital strategies that drive engagement and user acquisition
- Experience working with brands across different markets
- Project management and budget alignment mastery with attention to detail and follow up
- Strong analytical abilities; know the strategy, support conclusions with data, analyze outcomes, and scope out key insights to establish continuous optimization
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, environment where you may have to wear multiple hats
- Belief in the ability of sports to help transform lives and provide equalizing opportunities
- Compensation commensurate with experience. Bonus eligibility is determined annually.
- Benefits: The current standard company health, life, disability, vision, and dental insurance coverage are supplied per UST/PNW policy. Eligibility for other benefits, including 401(k), Vacation and PTO, will take place for USTA/PNW policy. Employee contributions to payment for benefit plans is determined annually. Opportunity to participate in Health Flex Plan.
- Travel Expenses: Normal and reasonable expenses will be reimbursed per USTA/PNW policy. Travel may be required for trainings, National meetings, and or section visits.
Websites for Reference: www.RecTennis.com and www.USTA.com/PNW
How to Apply
- Applicants must apply via the JobScore link: http://bit.ly/2FxpEJc
- Applicants must submit a Cover Letter and Resume.
- For more information, contact Lindsay Rector, USTA PNW HR, 503-718-3326