The VDI System Engineer (SE) is responsible for architecting, planning and implementing the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure design of systems hardware and software and related ITEMS UFS infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures are designed to adhere to organizational values, mission requirements and enabling mission success.
We seek to build a team of virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) system engineers who can perform multiple functions. We understand that people have specialties, but seek people open to cross training and willing to apply their skills in multiple arears.
• Architects VDI hardware and software system designs in support of the program infrastructure
• Develops technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
• Requirements analysis, system and system of system architectures
• Provide guidance on optimization of desktops for platform interoperability and act as liaison between central technologies and endpoint support teams on issues and tasks
• Applies extensive technical expertise, and has full knowledge of other related disciplines.
• Work is performed without appreciable direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives and approaches to assignment. Completed work is reviewed from a relatively long-term perspective, for desired results.
• Guides the successful completion of major projects and may function in a project leadership role. Erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in failure to achieve major organizational objectives.
• Represents the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects. Interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
• Conducts trade studies and makes recommendations on solutions and “make buy” decisions
Qualified individuals will have experience in designing hardware, software and interface solutions for one or more of the following areas, noted below. In addition to architecting and designing the VDI Engineer will provide TIER 3/4 support to system administrators in order to resolve VDI issues.
• Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Support Services
• Home Directory and Profile Support Services
• Desktop Software Support Services
• Domain Services
• On Call Support 2-3 weeks per year
• Hyper V / VM Ware
• VDI (Microsoft or Citrix - 3+ years’ experience with Citrix NetScalers / ADCs)
• Windows Clustering
• Windows Server 2012 and 2019
• Liquidware Profile Unity
• Security +
Interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people; regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues. May resolve problems within established practices.
Skills & Tasks: Exceptionally Complex - researches and evaluates new concepts and processes to improve performance. Analyzes cross-functional problem sets, identifies root causes and resolves issues. Assists more junior level technicians, specialists, and managers in their activities. Can perform all tasks of lower level technicians, specialists, and/or managers.
Individual Work / Teamwork or Leadership / Management: Leadership/ Management - Works individually, actively participates on integrated teams, and leads multiple tasks, projects or teams. Oversees and monitors performance, and when required, takes steps to resolve issues.
Guidance: Directs multiple teams through to project completion. Provides guidance and direction to lower level technicians, specialists, and managers.
Education/Min Years Experience: HS/GED -- 10 years experience, Associates -- 8 years experience, Bachelors -- 6 years experience, Masters -- 4 years experience, PhD -- 2 years experience