Patch Management (SCCM Infrastructure Support) #157
Engineering | Springfield, VA | Full Time
Sr. Systems Engineer with prior experience working with Microsoft Systems Center Stack. The Systems Engineer will be responsible for building, maintaining, and troubleshooting all aspects of the Microsoft Systems Center Stack (Microsoft Systems Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) is the main focus but Microsoft Systems Operations Manager (SCOM) is also a plus
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The role of the Systems Engineer is to utilize systems, tools, and processes to monitor and administer systems, with a focus on:
• Maintain and administer servers and related computing environments including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations as needed to support the operational mission.
• Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
• Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware, software, or other network and system problems, and replace defective components when necessary.
• Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures to protect data, software, and hardware.
• Document design specifications, installation instructions, and other system-related information.
• Verify stability, interoperability, portability, security, or scalability of system architecture.
• Collaborate with engineers or software developers to select appropriate design solutions or ensure the compatibility of system components.
• Provide technical guidance or support for the development or troubleshooting of systems.
• Monitor system operation to detect potential problems.
• Ability to lead technical teams
• Experience with NGA programs and facilities are desired.
• Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM).
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.)
• Must posses a TS/SCI clearance
• Security+ or other 8570 qualification
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must have excellent attention to detail
• Must be a self starter.
• Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
• Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• The employee will normally work in a temperature-controlled office environment, with frequent exposure to electronic office equipment.
• During visits to areas of operations, may be exposed to extreme cold or hot weather conditions. Is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and loud noise.
Operations and Support
• Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
• Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
• Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
• Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
• Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
• Provide Tier II & III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
• Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
• Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
• Upgrade and configure system software that supports GIS infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications per project or operational needs.
• Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
• Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
• Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
• Create and maintain documentation to help train employees resolve day to day issues and knowledge transfer.
• Identify and execute process improvements and other enhancements that improve operational efficiency.
• Security +
• Meet the qualifications of one of the customer specified levels (0-4)
Interpret and/or discuss information with others, which involves terminology or concepts not familiar to many people; regularly provide advice and recommend actions involving rather complex issues. May resolve problems within established practices.
Skills & Tasks:
Exceptionally Complex - researches and evaluates new concepts and processes to improve performance. Analyzes cross-functional problem sets, identifies root causes and resolves issues. Assists more junior level technicians, specialists, and managers in their activities. Can perform all tasks of lower level technicians, specialists, and/or managers.
Individual Work / Teamwork or Leadership / Management:
Leadership/ Management - Works individually, actively participates on integrated teams, and leads multiple tasks, projects or teams. Oversees and monitors performance, and when required, takes steps to resolve issues.
Directs multiple teams through to project completion. Provides guidance and direction to lower level technicians, specialists, and managers.
Min Years Experience: HS/GED -- 12 years experience, Associates -- 10 years experience, Bachelors -- 8 years experience, Masters -- 6 years experience, PhD -- 4 years experience