Software Engineer, Site Reliability
Site Reliability Engineering | Redwood City, CA | Full Time
Turn delivers real-time insights that transform the way leading advertising agencies and marketers make decisions. Our cloud applications and Internet-scale architecture work together to provide a complete picture of customers, execute cross-channel campaigns, and connect with a worldwide ecosystem of over 100 partners. Turn is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices in Amsterdam, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Hamburg, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Singapore, Sydney and Sao Paolo. For more information, visit turn.com or follow @turnplatform.
Please take a moment to view our award-winning culture video at: http://www.turn.com/working-at-turn/
Like any successful internet platform, Turn handles trillions of online events per day (up to 1MM a day). Understanding of how such a distributed, complex system works as intended requires innovative approaches to monitoring. Knowing the system state of one machine does not reflect the state of your platform depending on 3 dozen services all interacting together. To solve those problems, the SRE team develops software to collect data about our system and make intelligent decision about its state. The Site Reliability Engineering team takes on that mission and works as an interface between our software engineers and our operations team to ensure our 10x year over year traffic growth is handled with class leading availability.
As a SW Engineer in the site reliability team, you will design and develop systems that will help us run our "software as a service" with enterprise quality. As part of this team, you will pioneer Turn's efforts in building custom solutions for monitoring our infrastructure. You will be part of a team making the architecture decisions to support the capture and aggregation thousands of business metrics every minute and be able to use them to make data driven decisions. Building a cross component understanding of our infrastructure will be the key to success in this role, and will make you an expert in the eyes of our engineering team. Your opinions will influence the design of our next generation systems.
A successful candidate in this role will enjoy problem solving at a scale that very few companies can offer. Fluency in software engineering, network technologies and data collection/analysis is necessary. If your idea of day to day excitement and challenge ranges from looking at stack traces to diagnosing problems involving petabytes of data across thousands of servers, then Turn Site Reliability Engineering team is the place for you!
- Serve as a primary point of contact for the availability, scalability and performance of our mission critical applications
- Gain deep knowledge of the complex relations between each of our services to develop a bird's eye view. Ability to zoom in and out to any level of our application.
- Assist our software engineering team to ensure proper monitoring and metrics are being built into the applications
- Develop custom infrastructure based on open source technologies to improve our ability to rapidly deploy and effectively monitor custom applications in a large-scale UNIX environment
- Work closely with development teams to ensure that platforms are designed with "operability" in mind
- Bachelor's or Master’s in Computer Science
- 0-5 years experience in a high scalability environment
- Fluency in Java is required, experience in one or more languages a plus
- Experience in one or more scripting language for system level automation
- Fluent with UNIX/Linux systems
- Strong opinions or demonstrated experience on how to monitor thousands of data points in real time.
Location: Redwood City
In addition to our great environment, we offer a competitive base salary, bonus program, stock options, employee development programs and other comprehensive benefits. Please send a cover letter along with your resume when applying to the position of interest located at Turn.com. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls and no recruiting agencies, please.