Software Engineer, Distributed Systems
Platform Engineering | Redwood City, CA | Full Time
Turn delivers real-time insights that transform the way leading advertising agencies and enterprises make decisions. Our digital advertising hub enables audience planning, media execution, and real-time analytics from a single login, and provides point-and-click access to more than 150 integrated marketing technology partners. Turn is headquartered in Silicon Valley and provides its products and services worldwide. For more information, visit turn.com or follow @turnplatform.
We’re changing the way the world thinks about online advertising and we are looking for talented engineers to join the Platform team and help us take it to the next level. Turn’s Platform team develops all distributed and big data systems and applications to efficiently run Turn’s online advertisement, data management, and analytics platforms.
Are you passionate about designing and building scaled, distributed services with low latency messaging and high availability/fault tolerance? Do you think processing 100 billion requests in under 10ms every day with just 800 servers is an interesting challenge? Are you ready to join a world-class, highly cooperative engineering team? If your answers are yes, then you are the person we’re looking for.
We are looking for Software Engineers to join the technical staff in our Platform Distributed Systems team. The engineers will contribute to our efforts in designing and implementing the critical distributed systems infrastructure that supports our ad delivery system. If you’re passionate about application performance, distributed systems, networking, and huge volumes of data and are interested in joining a world class engineering team you might well be the person we’re looking for. Qualified individuals will have a solid background in the fundamentals of computer science, and some background in distributed computing, high availablity, large scale data processing, and performance monitoring and tuning.
Because we are a small team, your ability to communicate technical ideas effectively, in oral and written forms, and solve complex problems in a team environment will also be considered.
- Build distributed systems – work on improving and adding new functionality to Turn’s distributed systems backbone.
- Scale the ad network – work on tuning and optimizing the delivery of ads in a network with thousands concurrent events, unique data scalability challenges and advanced ad selection techniques
- Keep it running – help troubleshoot application operational issues.
- Learn and grow – learn from local experts and expand your skills and responsibilities
- Design and implement features evolving our online advertising and data management product offerings.
- Develop instrumentation/profiling tools and systems.
- Must be hard working, team oriented, bright, creative, cooperative, and an exceptional problem solver. And nice. We only have nice people.
- Must be able to quickly understand technical and business requirements and be able to translate into technical implementation
- Experience with Java, C++ or C# is a must.
- 0-3+ years of relevant experience
- A degree in Computer Science (preferred) or Electrical Engineering (BS) is a must.
- Some experience with distributed systems, advanced applications building, large scale data processing or application partitioning is a must for senior positions. Relevant classes and projects is a must for junior positions.
- Solid understanding and working knowledge of modern operating systems, networking, and/or scalability techniques.
- Proven skills in scalability analysis and performance monitoring and measuring techniques are a must for senior positions.
- Experience with Linux based operating systems is a plus.
Keywords: Distributed systems, high scalability, key/value store, replication, consistency, partitioning, messaging, coordination, (ZooKeeper), streaming, Java, Linux.
Location: Redwood City, CA
In addition to our great environment, we offer a competitive base salary, bonus program, stock options, employee development programs and other comprehensive benefits. Please send a cover letter along with your resume when applying to the position of interest located at Turn.com. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls and no recruiting agencies, please.