Senior System Administrator – Analysis and Map/Reduce
Engineering | Redwood City, CA | Full Time
You will be a critical member of the Technical Operations team for a fast-growing, successful start-up in the online data-driven advertising business. This team is responsible for the continuous, successful operation of our company’s core assets – the engine of our business.
In this role, you will be the authority on our analysis cluster, which consists of machines and technical infrastructure that are performing vital computational functions for our business. We are truly pushing the boundaries of analytical computation on web-based digital data and advertising, and want an expert scientist / operational engineer to join our highly talented team.
Responsible for the deployment and day-to-day operations of our analysis and map/reduce custom infrastructure, including the design, configuration, operation, and monitoring of our rapidly expanding analysis infrastructure.
The incumbent will have a breadth of experience running map/reduce infrastructure such as BigTables, Hadoop, Disco, or other map/reduce and distributed data analysis software, both open-source and custom. The incumbent will have experience designing and deploying automated deployment scripting and configuration database/centralized scripting for large compute clusters running on commodity hardware equipment..
- BS in Computer Science / Engineering or a related technical field from a top university, or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- At least 4 years’ experience working in a production, linux-based environment (200+ servers); at least 2 years personal experience designing and deploying analysis software for distributed, high-volume web-based data analysis .
- Solid understanding of Unix-related network services, NIC teaming, advanced TCP/IP networking, PXE booting,
- Experience deploying distributed monitoring infrastructure with a large web-based company
- Minimum 3+ yrs of Linux configuration and administration, core operating systems exp, including networking setup and maintenance
- Core contributor to Map/Reduce open source projects
- Experience in Java Web Server administration (Tomcat)
- Experience in LAMP Stack administration, bonus points for FreeBSD.
- Experience in Cloud Computing, Amazon EC2 deployment
- Publications in the field of map/reduce deployment and operation.