Operations Architect - Site Reliability Operations
Technical Operations | Redwood City, CA | Full Time
Turn delivers real-time insights that transform the way leading advertising agencies and marketers make decisions. Our cloud applications and Internet-scale architecture work together to provide a complete picture of customers, execute cross-channel campaigns, and connect with a worldwide ecosystem of over 100 partners. Turn is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices in Amsterdam, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Hamburg, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Singapore, Sydney and Sao Paolo. For more information, visit turn.com or follow @turnplatform.
Please take a moment to view our award-winning culture video at: http://www.turn.com/working-at-turn/
Turn is seeking an experienced Operations Architect to join the Site Reliability Operations Team. We are looking for a seasoned systems operations expert to lead initiatives focused on systems infrastructure and big data management within a high volume fast scaling environment. You will be the authority on systems deployment infrastructure, system operations, and system monitoring for a portion of our infrastructure. Your advanced system architecture & administration skills will be utilized on projects to dig deep into our application architecture and perform sophisticated performance tuning. You will collaborate with engineering, product & project managers, QA and fellow operations teams to architect and develop strategic and tactical solutions.
- Create both high-level and detailed technical design documents and facilitate design reviews
- Design and improve automation and tools for systems management, including development of scripts and building tools to help engineering service owners and fellow SROs maintain the Turn Platform and infrastructure management services
- Qualify service transition requirements by working closely with cross functional teams to negotiate requirements, specifications, schedules, quality, and technical acceptance criteria
- Dig deep into hardware, driver, Linux kernel, and TCP stack issues to troubleshoot problems and improve system performance
- Lead efforts to evaluate new tools and technologies and take leading edge techniques and technologies into use in our operational stack
- Leverage your technical experience to mentor and coach team members. Must be an excellent verbal and written communicator
- Perform periodic on-call duty as part of a team maintaining the availability and performance of the Turn Campaign and Audience platform, as well as the various internal services and systems that these core services depend on
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of design experience with medium to large-scale Linux production environments, preferably as part of an online service provider environment
- Solid understanding of load balancing, Linux/UNIX-related network services, TCP/IP networking, CDNs
- Experience with configuration management tools (Puppet/Chef/CFEngine)
- Proficiency in one of Python, PHP, Perl, or Ruby for operations scripts and text processing
- Expert in the configuration and maintenance of common applications such as Apache, Tomcat, Nginx, Memcache, Squid, LDAP NFS, DHCP, DNS, and SNMP
- Experience with virtualization technologies a plus
- Experience with big data systems (e.g. Hadoop) a plus
- Ability to perform 'guerrilla capacity planning' for internet service architectures a huge plus
Location: Redwood City
In addition to our great environment, we offer a competitive base salary, bonus program, stock options, employee development programs and other comprehensive benefits. Please send a cover letter along with your resume when applying to the position of interest located at Turn.com. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls and no recruiting agencies, please.