Director, Cloud Infrastructure & Operations
Technical Operations | Redwood City, CA
Turn delivers real-time insights that transform the way leading advertising agencies and marketers make decisions. Our cloud applications and Internet-scale architecture work together to provide a complete picture of customers, execute cross-channel campaigns, and connect with a worldwide ecosystem of over 100 partners. Turn is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices in Amsterdam, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, London, Los Angeles, New York, Paris, and San Francisco. Company revenue has more than doubled every year of Turn’s existence. For more information, visit turn.com or follow @turnplatform.
Please take a moment to view our culture video at: http://www.turn.com/working-at-turn/
Turn is an innovative, entrepreneurial and rapidly growing big data analytics and advertising cloud platform company that is building state of the art, ultra scalable globally distributed infrastructure. We currently have the infrastructure to respond to more than 1 million queries per second and successfully execute hundreds of billions of transactions per day.
We are seeking a Director of Infrastructure to join a dynamic, talented Technical Operations department that is in the middle of fantastic growth. Reporting to the Sr. Director of Technical Operations, this is a unique opportunity to lead a team delivering the entire technology stack, from the server hardware on the datacenter floor, up to the delivery of a highly successful cloud application accessed by hundreds of millions of Internet users every single day.
Influencing all aspects of technology design, deployment, and continuous operation, you will be responsible for continuing the highly available, scalable, and performant nature of our platform while strengthening, enhancing and evolving the platform and managing an expert team. The candidate we are seeking must have exceptional technical depth, exemplary people management skills, excellent organization and execution skills along with exceptional skills in documentation and cross department communications. Occasional domestic and international travel will be required. The position will be based in Redwood City, California at our Headquarters.
- Manage a team of engineers and technicians responsible for the Server, Storage, Big Data, Application, Sysadmin, and Datacenter Architecture and Operations areas
- Maintain the hardware and software Infrastructure stack for high-volume (million+ QPS), mission-critical (24x7x365), Internet-scale application with four-9’s of uptime
- Direct the design, build-out, implementation, testing, operations and maintenance of our globally-distributed datacenter and network infrastructure (Americas, Europe, Asia)
- Provide ongoing technical and leadership expertise in supporting the Data Center operations, including proactive evaluation of growth and scalability requirements
- Evaluate and implement IT procedures, operations and equipment selection for maximum efficiency, cost containment, and uptime.
- Maintain infrastructure design standards, ensure they are documented and up to date, and lead efforts to take new technologies into stack on continual basis as appropriate.
- Experience supporting a wide range of technologies, including open-source, internally developed custom applications, commercial and cloud in an efficient and automated manner
- Experience with automation (Puppet, Chef, etc.) and monitoring (Nagios, Cacti, Ganglia, and/or TSDB, etc.) technologies in production setting
- Serve as vendor point of contact, maintain and form new relationships, drive down costs and drive up service levels
- Perform detailed financial planning and analysis; provide regular reporting to management
- Point of responsibility for datacenter and application incidents, expansion and capacity planning, and server and network equipment deployment and provisioning
- Development and enhancement of Data Center SOP documentation and process, including emergency response, and physical security management, and disaster recovery
- Ensures hardware and software is maintained and data center sites are secured through proper security audits, back-ups, code releases and patches, and staff training. Reports any anomalies in an efficient and descriptive manner to upper management
- Must be able to work at a detailed level on complicated technology problems
- Provide reports on system performance and capacity, forecasting usage to assist in Capacity Planning and designing future infrastructure expansion and purchases
- Oversee implementation of service methodologies including incident management, problem management, change management, capacity management
- Establishes a professional working relationship with other team members and management staff. Easy to work with and get along with
- Must be able to function in fast-growing, highly dynamic startup environment. Comfortable and experienced coping with tremendous growth over a short period of time.
- Able to motivate and inspire others, and be client-focused
- Must be familiar with data center operations in a global organization, and be ready to manage simultaneous, complex, difficult and conflicting projects in different parts of the world with evolving requirements and tight resourcing
- Document and improve processes. The successful candidate will be an excellent writer and clear communicator. Please bring writing samples
- Forecast staff needs, coaching, motivating and developing team member capabilities
- Approx. 15% travel, including international.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Management Information Systems, or a similar field from a highly regarded University is required
- Advance technical degree or MBA preferred
- Minimum 5 years of management experience
- Demonstrated experience with large-scale Linux/Unix environment, TCP/IP networking / routing technologies, Firewall and security operations, and storage / compute architecture in Internet-scale consumer facing web operation
- Demonstrated ability to develop, manage and coach an Operations Team and work in 24x7 environment
- Knowledge of common operations tools, methods, and techniques
Location: Redwood City
In addition to our great environment, we offer a competitive base salary, bonus program, stock options, employee development programs and other comprehensive benefits. Please send a cover letter along with your resume when applying to the position of interest located at Turn.com. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls and no recruiting agencies, please.