Applications Operations Specialist
Platform Engineering | Redwood City, CA | Full Time
As part of the Operations Group, the Application Operations Specialist will be a vital part of keeping our production operations running smoothly. This senior engineer / architect level contributor will be equally at home doing systems design or creating operational procedures. This person will join our team as the key member responsible for maintaining operational integrity of our application production environment, troubleshooting, and improving our overall production system to increase scalability and reliability of the product platform.
The Application Operations Specialist will communicate with members of the Engineering team on changes, notifications and requests for production changes, as well as the QA team on coordinating releases and maintaining high availability during transitions.
The successful candidate for this position will be an experienced developer who is motivated by hands-on guidance of a production system, enjoys script writing and documentation of systems and processes, and has the technical programming background and diplomatic communication skills to interface with the Engineering and Platform groups to affect change, troubleshoot and improve technical bottlenecks and synchronize engineering activities.
Primary Job Duties include:
- Maintain and grow the operational infrastructure along with business growth. Technical thought leader and experienced developer.
- Primary, on-call shift responsibility for system architecture components, responding to incidents, troubleshooting problems, and communicating complex application flow concepts to rest of organization in an understandable way
- Using data, metrics, monitoring and alerting mechanisms to establish a baseline and improve on it
- Work with other Operations sysadmins to maintain tools, instrumentation, monitoring, and scripts in operational state
- Requirements and expectations:
- Demonstrated ability to maintain complex system architecture in production environment
- Excellent written documentation and verbal communication skills
- Proactive leader; "get it done" mentality, while following change control methods and processes
- Willingness to learn, be challenged, and have fun in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Strongly desired: prior application programming experience in C, C++, or Java
- 3-5 years sysadmin experience with Linux / Unix servers, shell scripting
- Prior QA experience a plus
- Excellent troubleshooting skills, a creative and methodical thinker
- BS in Computer Science or Engineering from