Sr/Staff Powertrain Calibration Engineer
Powertrain Engineering | Plymouth, MI | Full Time
Tula Technology, Inc. is a Silicon Valley based supplier of Dynamic Skip Fire (DSF®), a software enabled powertrain technology that integrates advanced digital signal processing with sophisticated powertrain controls to create the ultimate variable displacement engine. Tula’s technology delivers optimal fuel efficiency across a wide range of engine types to the world’s automotive manufacturers, helping them meet fuel efficiency and CO2 mandates at the lowest cost. With headquarters in San Jose, CA, and an engineering center in Plymouth, MI, Tula brings together the best of Silicon Valley and automotive expertise, resulting in over 50 patents issued or allowed and over 80 U.S. and international patents pending.
Based in Plymouth, MI, the Powertrain Calibration Engineer is a key member of a small team responsible for calibration development of base engine and transmission calibrations of OEM vehicles prior to production.
- The successful candidate will contribute to the generation and implementation of innovative ideas and assist in development of project plans to fit program needs. He/she will also have partial responsibility in writing calibration guides and preparing training materials for conveyance to customers and new hires.
- While candidate is largely focused on proper engine operation, he/she will have significant customer interaction as well as daily communication and collaboration with other team members, including base engine and NVH engineers, in both Michigan and Silicon Valley.
- Candidate will have a deep understanding of current control system technologies such as torque structure with electronic throttle, variable camshaft operation, drivability, emissions and an understanding of current OBDII requirements.
- Calibration activities include objective and subjective in-vehicle evaluation, drive quality understanding and rating, customer experience, troubleshooting, test setup and performing tests on vehicles and engine dynamometers. We require an understanding of current transmission interactions with the engine, and a general sense of vehicle NVH required for production vehicles.
- M.S. in related engineering discipline, B.S. plus related work experience, or equivalent technical background
- 10+ years’ experience with automotive OEMs
- Past start of production (SOP) experience is required for this position, sorry - no exceptions
- Understanding of current technology engine, transmission technologies and the challenges that face them
- Understanding of engine control development tools such as INCA or the like is required
- Systematic and structured approach toward engineering development
- Effective verbal and written communication skills including the ability to influence technical direction
- Demonstrated team orientation and project management skills
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced start-up environment
- Customer interaction
- Write calibration and test procedures
- Ability to travel up to 15%
- Algorithm development experience and common usage of Matlab/Simulink is a plus
- Experience with valve/cylinder de-activation engines