UX Design Intern
Product | Boston or San Francisco | Internship
We’re looking for a UX design intern to join our UX team for the summer in San Francisco.
At Trifacta, we’re designing a product for a growing group of users who have a very real pain. Cleaning and structuring data is both a crucial and difficult activity for analysts, a process that traditionally requires a huge amount of time and effort. We believe that transforming data shouldn’t be a painful problem and that user-centered design is particularly well suited to creating simple, intuitive, and enjoyable solutions. This is a lofty goal in a space that is traditionally deprived of usable products.
As designers, we recognize the value of professional tools capable not only to accommodate our needs but also to empower and inspire us in our everyday work. Our mission (and our passion) is providing our users with these same great experiences. And our target users are tough ones: smart, skilled, incredibly task-driven data analysts with unique mental models. We are facing big challenges here: building modern data tools for a large variety of users and needs in a complex and incredibly dynamic context. How can we support them in the shift from spreadsheets to the world of big data? How can we give users the ability to understand the impact of their work on terabytes of data?
As an intern, you will focus on the interaction and interface design of a new generation of tools capable of combining user inputs and machine learning technologies to accomplish complex tasks in simple, enjoyable ways. You will be part of an incredibly talented and diverse team in which collaboration and mutual respect are key. Throughout the summer you’ll be closely paired with our Principal designer not only collaborating on projects, but also leading them. We hope that by the end of your internship you have made real tangible contributions to the product.
We’re excited for someone to join our team for the summer to tackle these challenges. If you find them exciting too, then you’re probably who we’re looking for!
- Pair closely with our Principal designer to work on core product features and design tools, such as our design system. This is a great opportunity to learn from an experienced designer while having the autonomy to lead projects and have an impact.
- Focus on interaction and interface design, from user flows to interface details. Design multiple iterations of solutions leveraging prototypes. Through this process we’d rather you show than tell.
- Work closely with PMs to discover and understand user needs and requirements and engineers to understand technical considerations and implement our designs down to the last detail. We want your work to be implemented.
- Our team deeply values collaboration. We hope you enjoy working with other designers in an friendly, open, and direct environment. We want to learn from you too.
- Enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate degree program in Design or HCI program
- A portfolio demonstrating interaction and interface design.
- We’re creating a data product, so an interest in data problems and the users that face them is essential.
- Our user facing product is a web app, so you should have a good understanding of current web design best practices and patterns. You should have a good understanding of HTML / CSS and a basic understanding of JS.