Senior / Principal UX Researcher
Product | San Francisco, CA | Full Time
We’re hiring a researcher to join our design team.
At Trifacta, we’re designing a product for a growing group of users who have a very real pain. Cleaning and structuring data is both a crucial and difficult activity for analysts, a process that traditionally requires a huge amount of time and effort. We believe that transforming data shouldn’t be a painful problem and that user research and user-centered design is particularly well suited to creating simple, intuitive, and enjoyable solutions. This is a lofty goal in a space that is traditionally deprived of usable products.
And our target users are tough ones: smart, skilled, incredibly task-driven data analysts with unique mental models. We’re facing a big challenge here: to build modern data tools for a large variety of users and needs in a complex and incredibly dynamic context. What are the important dimensions of these users to consider when designing products for them? How can we create products that support their specific needs? How can we support them in the shift from spreadsheets to the world of big data?
We believe research is essential to understanding how to approach designing solutions for our users. Your mission as a researcher will be to provide robust, rich, and actionable research that the product team needs at every stage of the product development cycle, both strategic and tactical.
You will be part of an incredibly talented and diverse team of designers and product managers in which collaboration and mutual respect are key. We’re excited to tackle these challenges. If you find them exciting too, then you’re probably who we’re looking for!
- Design and conduct practical and impactful research across the product cycle, from formative to evaluative and everywhere in between.
- Inform and participate in product decisions from definition to launch (and after), working at both a strategic and tactical level.
- Work with design, product, and engineering to integrate research into our product development process and to plan and prioritize research opportunities.
- Bring insights about users by a variety of methods whether it be surveys, interviews, log analysis, usability studies, diary studies, ethnographic observation, or a new method you invent.
- Share findings with designers, engineers, product managers, and others, creating a smarter, more informed and more empathetic team.
- Masters or Ph.D. in Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Information Science, Computer Science (or similar), or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years researching digital products
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis.
- Experience researching enterprise software.
- Ability to distill research into actionable product insights or recommendations.
- Experience researching or using data products, data visualization tools, SQL, or ETL.
- Experience researching in a start up and an understanding of the challenges and excitement it entails.
- Visual or interaction design skills.
We have a great office in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco with views of the Bay. Our fridge is stocked full of food and drinks and we offer perks such as an unlimited vacation policy. You must be located in the Bay Area or be willing to relocate.