Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
R&D | Pflugerville, TX | Full Time
Under the general direction of the VP of Engineering, this full-time position requires expertise in mechanical, electro-mechanical, and opto-mechanical design and development. Candidate should be well versed in best practices of these disciplines and be able to rapidly iterate on developing product designs.
This role involves a significant amount of communication and interaction with a wide range of people inside and external to TrackingPoint. As a member of the R&D department, this individual is expected to possess and demonstrate excellent conceptual skills, functional and technical skills, and be comfortable exercising independent discretion and judgment.
The technology developed by our R&D team is the foundation of TrackingPoint’s leadership position in the niche market of precision guided firearms. We hire people who like to solve problems and who are always looking for ways to iterate and improve our product offerings.
Essential Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
- B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, and a minimum of 7 years of mechanical design and analysis experience
- Extensive SolidWorks or 3D modeling and 2D drafting experience
- Machine and mechanism design experience including electro-mechanical and/or opto-mechanical
- Clear understanding of electro-mechanical and opto-mechanical design tradeoff considerations
- Fundamental understanding of optics and versed in optic terminology
- Manufacturing / design troubleshooting and metrology:
- Proven understanding of DFM and with an emphasis on simplicity and elegance
- Tolerance analysis and GD&T
- Product testing experience including ASTM, MIL-SPEC, IP
- Static and dynamic (including modal, vibration and shock) analysis using FEA. Thermal analysis background utilizing CFD.
- Expertise in materials, finishes and mechanical parts fabrication processes with an understanding of the tradeoffs associated with each
- Good communications skills as a subject matter expert
- Self-starter with commitment to excellence
Additional Valuable Background:
- Experience with managing and administration of product data management (PDM) systems (preferably with SolidWorks EPDM)
- PLM and ECO release process (using Agile)
- Basic understanding of bolt action and semi-automatic firearms.
Special Position Notes
- No regular travel required
- This position may supervise the work of other engineers and/or contractors
- Must be willing to submit to a criminal background check
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions listed above.
Environment: Work is performed primarily in an indoor office lab; incumbents may be required to work extended hours including evenings and weekends and may be required to travel outside the office to attend meetings. Employees may work under the stress of regular interdepartmental contacts and pressure to meet various reporting and filing deadlines.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an production area setting. Employee should be able to lift up to 50 pounds of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
All employees are expected to conform to the following in the performance of their respective tasks and duties:
- Accept full responsibility for tasks and duties, and be accountable for quality of work product, managing multiple projects with varying deadlines.
- Establish and maintain effective, professional working relationships with other company employees, customers and external stakeholders.
- Exercise sound judgment in business and interpersonal affairs.
- Demonstrate willingness and ability to work collaboratively with peers.
- Produce quality work without direct supervision while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with management, supervisors and other employees, as well as persons affiliated with customers, suppliers and other company stakeholders.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between TrackingPoint and employee and is subject to change by the Company as the needs and requirements of the position change. The position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
- No visa sponsorship is being offered for this position
- TrackingPoint is not accepting candidates from recruiting agencies for this position