Internal Application: Senior Accountant (Contract)
Finance | Pflugerville, TX | Contract and Temporary
TrackingPoint is seeking a Senior Accountant (Contract) to assist with financial operations during a temporary absence. The position is located at our Pflugerville, TX offices and the Contractor will be needed from April to June/July this year.
Under the direction of the Controller, this position is responsible for performing the day-to-day activities of the accounting functions including cash receipts and disbursements, accounts payable, accounts receivable, inventory accounting, general ledger accounting, fixed asset accounting and control, petty cash, sales orders, purchase orders and other related functions. Work is performed with little direct supervision and with latitude to exercise independent judgment within the framework of existing company and department policies and procedures and prevailing federal, state and local laws, ordinances and regulations.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Perform and maintain accounting functions in accordance with established accounting policies and procedures in the areas of chart of accounts, cash, petty cash, accounts receivable, fixed assets, accounts payable, general ledger and all related systems and processes.
- Daily job responsibilities generally include: full cycle monthly close, including preparation of all monthly close journal entries and accruals; process sales invoices and accounts payable bills daily; reconcile cash and investment accounts to respective bank statements; perform analysis and reconciliation of various general ledger account activity and balance; reconcile general ledger inventory accounts to inventory system; run trial balances and reconcile general ledger accounts to respective subsidiary ledgers.
- Follow established internal controls and accounting policies and procedures to ensure compliance with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America (“GAAP”), applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, and Company policies and practices.
- Assist with development, implementation and maintenance of internal control procedures and accounting policies/procedures.
- Perform and document period-end closing procedures in accordance with established Company procedures and practices. Prepare journal entries and balance sheet account reconciliations, as appropriate. Make recommendations to Controller for process improvement.
- Maintain the system of accounting for and safeguarding of property and equipment in accordance with established Company procedures and practices.
- Maintain the system of accounting records management in accordance with established Company procedures and practices.
- May work with auditors for interim audit fieldwork.
- Review financial reports and analyses and other documents as requested for accuracy and to detect and prevent errors. Perform special project research, analysis, and report writing tasks as assigned.
- Take initiative in recommending changes to Controller of work methods, records management, policies, and procedures to improve department effectiveness and improve overall operating efficiencies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of this position.
- Exercise individual initiative and discretion in confidential matters and respect confidential matters regarding other employees, the board of directors, shareholders and other stakeholders. Respond effectively to sensitive and confidential inquiries.
- Proficiency with financial accounting principles, systems and methods, internal control systems and practices, and GAAP. Identify segregation of accounting duties and functions. Recommend and implement approved internal accounting and control policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of state and federal tax regulations, auditing techniques, data base systems to maintain records and generate reports, cost accounting, materials requirements planning (“MRP”) and inventory management, and principles and practices of financial budget preparation and administration.
- Proficient computer skills with thorough knowledge of QuickBooks and Microsoft Office Suite programs, and a working knowledge of Excel graphics, pivot tables and analysis tools. Prior experience with ERP system - Microsoft Great Plains.
- Working knowledge of modern office administration and records management practices, procedures, and equipment. Recommend and implement approved office administration and records management practices, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate a high level of organizational skills as well as the ability to multi-task while meeting established deadlines.
- Prepare complex financial analyses, reports, statements, business correspondence, procedural manuals and other business documents of professional appearance in a clear, concise and complete fashion.
- Apply mathematical concepts such as probability, statistical inference, financial analysis, fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Define and analyze problems, collect data, establish facts, project consequences of proposed actions, identify alternative solutions, draw valid conclusions, make appropriate recommendations, and implement approved recommendations in support of business initiatives and objectives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, business administration, finance, or related field, and three (3) to six (6) years of increasingly responsible professional accounting experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated experience in full-cycle financial accounting systems, practices and methods, GAAP as applied in the U.S., and experience in use of automated financial accounting and analysis software programs is required. A mix of private industry and public accounting (auditing) experience is preferred.
SPECIAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is preferred, but not required.
Competitive compensation will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. As a short-term, 1099 contractor position, benefits are not included.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions listed above.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between TrackingPoint and employee and is subject to change by the Company as the needs and requirements of the position change. The position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.