Software Engineer, Platform Team
Engineering | San Carlos, CA | Full Time
Born from the belief that great things come to those who cook, Yummly provides limitless inspiration, with the tools to make it happen—from recipe discovery to prep to perfect results. Just as appliances removed the most cumbersome chores, the next tipping point in daily life is upon us in the food space. A system of personalized discovery that learns you better to serve you better, so the question “what’s for dinner?” is answered before it’s even asked.
Yummly has grown to over 30M registered users and our mobile apps are consistently one of the leading recipe apps on iPhone, iPad, Android, and Windows. Next on the menu? Building the connected digital kitchen of the future globally.
Would you like to work on high-performance services, groundbreaking machine learning systems, search engines, and recommendation systems? Are you passionate about infrastructure: containers, clusters, continuous deployment, AWS? Do you want to be a part of our International launch? If yes, keep reading!
Yummly, Inc., a subsidiary of Whirlpool Corporation, is looking for a Software Engineer to join our Platform team and focus on our efforts to expand globally.
As a Software Engineer on the Platform team, you will:
- Work with our small but powerful team of researchers and developers, building the most advanced ML-powered software in the kitchen.
- Build new features and components, as well as help to advance our existing codebase. Your projects are likely to span our stack: from the APIs that power our site & apps to data processing pipelines, microservices, infrastructure automation, and on occasion web front-ends.
- Help us open-source some of the amazing tools we have been building over the past few years.
- 3+ years of significant, demonstrated experience building and shipping production software, preferably in a startup or small-team setting
- Experience building & scaling APIs
- The ability to work in a functional programming language: our codebase is largely Clojure and Scala
- A good working understanding of the modern data processing toolset: SQL and NoSQL databases, batch and streaming data processing tools, what they are good for, and how they fit together
- A bachelor's degree in computer science, or equivalent
- A collaborative attitude, strong desire to succeed as part of the team, and self-motivation
- A desire to learn
- DevOps experience with AWS
- Experience with Kubernetes and other container-based architectures
- Experience building CI / CD
- Interest and experience with ML, NLP, search, or recommendation systems
A little more about us:
- At Yummly, we are a team of talented and diverse engineers, scientists, product experts, and marketers on a mission to rule the kitchen. We've seen great success using machine learning and artificial intelligence to make cooking fun, easy, and personalized. Our iOS and Android apps have 4.5+ star reviews, millions of downloads, and many awards (download and give it a try!).
In 2017, we were acquired by Whirlpool, the world’s largest home appliance maker. Together, we are building the fully connected kitchen of the future.
We’re putting the finishing touches on our permanent home office in San Carlos that will open its doors in 2021. Due to COVID-19, we are all working at home at the moment and will remain flexible through mid-year 2021. In the meantime, we are planning and implementing high-level safety protocols for working in the office when the time comes.
Please talk to us if you have a love for shipping products, hard problems, and food!