Senior iOS Developer
Engineering | San Carlos, CA | Full Time
Born from the belief that great things come to those who cook, Yummly is your personalized, AI-powered digital assistant for managing your kitchen. We simplify and automate mundane tasks and inspire home chefs to become the best version of themselves. With our award-winning mobile apps and website, Yummly provides limitless inspiration, with the tools to make it happen—from recipe discovery, meal planning, guided video recipes from celebrity chefs, and tools to eliminate food waste. Just as appliances removed the most cumbersome chores, the next tipping point in daily life is upon us in the food space. A system of personalized discovery that learns you better to serve you better, so the question “what’s for dinner?” is answered and solved to make cooking rewarding, efficient, and inspiring.
Yummly is consistently one of the leading recipe apps on iOS and Android with Editor’s Choice designations across both platforms. We also recently launched our own IoT-connected cooking products and are building the appliances of the future with Whirlpool that will integrate with our apps.
Yummly is seeking a seasoned and experienced Senior iOS Developer to join our food-obsessed team and help to lead the iOS function in developing the next phase of category-defining smart cooking and connected kitchen products.
Join the Yummly Team in crafting great experiences that help home cooks plan, prep, and cook meals faster and easier through smart personalized guidance. We want you to elevate our mobile app user experience to the next level through your passion for future-tech user-centric development awesomeness, and create the most comprehensive food management suite in the world.
- Design and development of beautiful, usable, and functionally rich iOS apps
- Provide technical and personal leadership to a distributed iOS development project team
- Guide architectural decisions and technical designs
- Analyze requirements and estimate efforts timeline, dependencies, and risks
- Investigate technical feasibility and suggest implementation options
- Collaborate closely with stakeholders (product owners and UX designers) and other development team members
- Be a liaison between our team and our offshore development and QA team (parts of our team are offshore)
- Hands-on iOS app development, including feature development & problem-solving
- Integrate mobile software with embedded device software on connected hardware modules, and with cloud software
- Participate in all aspects of product design and development
- Mentor others
- Love food
- 7+ years of experience in the software development industry
- 5+ years of experience in mobile app development, with strong programming and architectural design skills
- Strong technical skills in iOS development with Swift and Objective-C
- Solid understanding of MVC/MVVM
- Passion for building great UI/UX
- Good understanding of iOS-related programming patterns and OS facilities
- Have your own app development portfolio that demonstrates real-life experience with mainstream mobile apps used by a broad consumer install base
- Hands-on experience in the Agile development process
- Good understanding of OOP concepts, design patterns, algorithms, and data structures
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Be a US citizen, Permanent Resident, or have an existing work visa that permits occasional work on-site in San Carlos, California
- Bachelor’s degree in Software/Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field, or comparable relevant experience
Preferred Optional Skills:
- Understand and have demonstrated best practices in front-end UI / UX implementation
- Understanding of app optimization including performance optimization
- Comfortable with Mac development environments and tools
- Hands-on experience with test-driven development and continuous integration
- Experience with test automation
- Experience with RESTful web services
- Experience with Bluetooth and general love of electronics
- Able to deal with ambiguity and change
- Startup experience
- Passionate about food: creating and consuming
A Little More About Us
At Yummly, we are a team of talented and diverse engineers, designers, scientists, product experts, and marketers on a mission to rule the kitchen. We've seen great success using machine learning and artificial intelligence to make cooking fun, easy, and personalized. Our iOS and Android apps have 4.5+ star reviews, millions of downloads, and many awards (download and give it a try!).
In 2017, we were acquired by Whirlpool, the world’s largest home appliance maker. Together, we are building the fully connected kitchen of the future.
We’re putting the finishing touches on our permanent home office in San Carlos and have opened its doors to employees to work from on a voluntary basis. We are implementing high-level safety protocols for working in the office and plan to move to a hybrid work model in the Fall to support greater flexibility.
Yummly is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.