Senior Android Engineer
Engineering | San Carlos, CA | Full Time
Born from the belief that great things come to those who cook, Yummly provides limitless inspiration, with the tools to make it happen—from recipe discovery to prep to perfect results. Just as appliances removed the most cumbersome chores, the next tipping point in daily life is upon us in the food space. A system of personalized discovery that learns you better to serve you better, so the question “what’s for dinner?” is answered before it’s even asked.
Yummly has grown to over 28M registered users and our mobile apps are consistently one of the leading recipe apps on iPhone, iPad, Android, and Windows. Next on the menu? Building the connected kitchen of the future.
Yummly, Inc., a subsidiary of the Whirlpool Corporation, has an opportunity for a Senior Android Developer in IoT space with a proven record of working in a fast-paced and highly structured environment.
The role will include creating software that runs on the Android Platform and communicates with other appliances in and around the house, specifically the ones in the kitchen, for remote control and monitoring of the said appliances and other devices. You will be responsible for providing solutions to Wireless protocols such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and will be involved with providing their feedback on the architecture and coordinating software design work between local and remote teams that are working on the project. The role will also include creating a hands-free cooking experience for the Yummly users which requires some previous experience in the field.
A substantial portion of the job duties in developing new types of software will require you to be interested and knowledgeable in food technology and food preparation. Not only does it require an intimate understanding of all the latest and advanced techniques for food preparation, but it also requires a rare ability to understand the unique desires and requirements of general users of the Yummly platform and Whirlpool appliances. The latter will require you to participate in User Testing sessions where you will communicate with real people using the software you created and see their interaction with the Application as well as the kitchen appliances used to control through said Application remotely. You will be participating in UI/UX creation sessions which requires you to provide your food cooking and preparation experience combined with the latest Android-specific UI/UX solutions.
Other responsibilities will include promptly fixing issues in the Android App as they are found, making releases of the app to the Google Play store, and following the best and latest practices of software development, trying out and providing feedback to the new technologies released by 3rd parties such as Google’s and other well-known products in the industry.
- Developing new features for the Yummly Application and any future mobile applications owned by Yummly, Inc. for the Android platform and other platforms based on or related to the Android platform
- Maintaining and improving the Yummly Application or any future mobile application owned by Yummly, Inc. for the Android platform
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams that may include Engineers, Designers, and Product Managers in order to define new products or features, design or redesign existing products or features, and build new features and products
- Writing Unit and Functional Automation Tests for features and products
- Continuously researching, discovering, evaluating, and implementing new technologies to maximize development and/or performance efficiency. The candidate will have to research and stay on top of new Android technologies, improvements, and/or initiatives and provide feedback to management on using the said technologies in current or future projects.
- Be responsible for development planning, project estimates, and time management for their individual assigned work or for projects in general.
- MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 3+ years experience with Android SDK
- Minimum of 3+ years of experience developing apps using remote data via REST and JSON
- Minimum of 3+ years of experience developing apps using third-party libraries and APIs designed for Android Platform
- Minimum of 1+ years of experience designing, developing and releasing apps work with IoT Technologies and related technologies such as Bluetooth
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience designing, developing and releasing apps work with IoT backend technologies, such as AWS IoT solutions
- Working knowledge of the general mobile architectures, trends, and latest technologies
- Previous experience with code refactoring, the ability to manage a legacy code is a nice to have
- Solid understanding of the full mobile development life cycle
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Skilled working in a fast-paced environment
- Team player
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Startup experience
- Passionate about food
- Experience with any of Retrofit, MVVM, RXJava, Kotlin, Java, Databinding, LiveData, AndroidX, Jetpack
And a Little More About Us:
At Yummly, we are a team of talented and diverse engineers, scientists, product experts, and marketers on a mission to rule the kitchen. We've seen great success using machine learning and artificial intelligence to make cooking fun, easy, and personalized. Our iOS and Android apps have 4.5+ star reviews, millions of downloads, and many awards (download and give it a try!).
In 2017, we were acquired by Whirlpool, the world’s largest home appliance maker. Together, we have appetizing aspirations to build the fully connected kitchen of the future.
We’re building a breathtaking new permanent home office in San Carlos that will open its doors in the Fall of 2020. Due to COVID-19, we are all working at home at the moment and will remain flexible throughout the rest of the year, and possibly to July 2021. In the meantime, we are planning and implementing high-level safety protocols for working in the office when the time comes. You would need to work onsite by June 2021.
Please talk to us if you have a love for app development, hard problems, and food!
Yummly is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.