Internal Application: Head of Machine Learning
Engineering | San Carlos, CA | Full Time
Born from the belief that great things come to those who cook, Yummly provides limitless inspiration, with the tools to make it happen—from recipe discovery to prep to perfect results. Just as appliances removed the most cumbersome chores, the next tipping point in daily life is upon us in the food space. A system of personalized discovery that learns you better to serve you better, so the question “what’s for dinner?” is answered before it’s even asked.
Yummly has grown to over 28M registered users and our mobile apps are consistently one of the leading recipe apps on iPhone, Android, and Windows. Next on the menu? Building the connected kitchen of the future.
Yummy has an opportunity for a Head of Machine Learning to lead a team of highly talented data scientists who define and build innovative data-powered products that personalize and scale high-quality experiences for millions of home cooks.
Data science/ML has been and will continue to be at the core of Yummly. Our ML applications include computer vision, smart assistants, content ingestion, natural language processing, search and discovery systems, recommender systems, and more.
We are looking for a strong applied scientist with the ability to lead. You must have a solid foundation in ML and deep learning (Ph.D. preferred), a broad range of interests, a focus on building systems that work. Mentoring and growing talent, as well as hiring, will be a critical part of the job. You will be able to develop a wide range of skills within a short time. You must be outstanding at both learning and teaching.
You should have experience shipping ML-powered products. You should be able to work constructively with engineers, PMs, and others, to apply ML and related approaches to solving problems. You should also be able to ask questions and identify problems we didn’t know we could solve for our customers using these techniques. We have executed extensive and challenging original research initiatives in this space and will be doing more of them - we see ML as a key strategic advantage.
The ML team has a firmly established leading place in our company culture. We are looking for someone to continue carrying that banner and helping Yummly be the most technically innovative, intelligent company in our domain.
- As the Head of ML, you will:
- Lead, manage, and grow our small but powerful team of scientists, building the most advanced ML-powered software in the kitchen
- Develop algorithms for natural language processing, search, personalization, computer vision, and understanding user behavior
- 5+ years of experience building and shipping B2C data-powered products (A MUST!)
- Expertise in machine learning, including deep learning
- Expertise in natural language processing, computer vision, recommender systems, or a related area
- Expertise in a high-level programming language, preferably Python, Scala, or Clojure
- A collaborative attitude with excellent communication and leadership skills
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s or Ph.D. preferred
- Experience leading and managing a team
- Experience with a deep learning framework, preferably TensorFlow, or Caffe, Torch
- A love of food and cooking
And a Little More About Us
At Yummly, we are a team of talented and diverse engineers, scientists, product experts, and marketers on a mission to rule the kitchen. We've seen great success using machine learning and artificial intelligence to make cooking fun, easy, and personalized. Our iOS and Android apps have 4.5+ star reviews, millions of downloads, and many awards (download and give it a try!).
In 2017, we were acquired by Whirlpool, the world’s largest home appliance maker. Together, we have appetizing aspirations to build the fully connected kitchen of the future.
We’re building a breathtaking new permanent home office in San Carlos California that will open its doors in 2021. Due to COVID-19, we are all working at home at the moment and will remain flexible throughout the first half of 2021. In the meantime, we are planning and implementing high-level safety protocols for working in the office when the time comes.
Please talk to us if you have a love for data, hard problems, and food!