Director of Data Insights and Analytics
Engineering | San Carlos, CA | Full Time
Born from the belief that great things come to those who cook, Yummly provides limitless inspiration, with the tools to make it happen from recipe discovery to prep to perfect results. Just as appliances removed the most cumbersome chores, the next tipping point in daily life is upon us in the food space. A system of personalized discovery that learns you better to serve you better, so the question "what's for dinner?" is answered before it's even asked.
Yummly has grown to over 30M registered users and our mobile apps are consistently one of the leading recipe apps on iPhone, iPad, Android, and Windows. Next on the menu? Building the connected digital kitchen of the future globally.
Yummly, Inc., a subsidiary of the Whirlpool Corporation, has an opportunity for a Director of Data Insights and Analytics with a proven record of leading a data analytics team that empowers the entire organization to drive impactful data-driven decisions. You will work with all levels of the company to drive strategy and platform direction informing decision-making through evidence-based insights.
This is a hands-on, code-writing, in-the-trenches role with access to everyone in the company including leadership, and influence over company growth direction decisions. We have a big dataset gathered over 10 years still with untapped possibility.
As the Director of Data Insights and Analytics, you will:
- Create a high-functioning team that works in a proactive partnership with individuals across the organization including:
- Product: support experimentation, insights & opportunities
- Marketing & Growth: goals & metrics, forecasts & projections, LTV & retention
- Content: trends, infographics, data visualization, content performance
- External: Work with external partners in evolving strategic partnerships
- Leadership: Collaborate on strategy with the executive team informing insights & opportunities
- Engineering: Manage cross-platform analytics, tracking, and experimentation
- Provide a data-driven perspective on evidence-based decision-making presenting to the team, senior leaders, and external partners, including:
- Democratize data by expanding coverage of data tools, dashboards, and knowledge sharing
- Own data quality and health of all analytics to build organizational trust in metrics
- Establish a program of education across the company to empower teams to be self-reliant
- Create tools that integrate into the Yummly product lifecycle to register features, set goals, monitor performance, allows for iteration
- Understand that liberating data is key to enabling evidence-based decision-making
- Own and lead insights and analytics across the company including:
- Instrument and analyze multivariate experiments and tests
- Develop analytics and measurement standards for tracking the health of established KPIs and product initiatives based on analytics best practices.
- Work directly with product management to define analysis needs, then translate these into tangible implementations and multivariate experiments that align to the analytics strategy.
- Support developers and product managers throughout the implementation process - iterate on specifications, own QA, assist with troubleshooting and tracking validation.
- Collaborate with growth, content, and marketing to enhance attribution instrumentation in areas like paid media.
- Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or a related quantitative field
- 5+ years working in an analytics organization
- 2+ years working as a team lead or manager
- Experience building end-to-end analytics reporting pipelines: hypothesis generation, instrumentation, logging, data modeling, ETL, validation, analysis, visualization, and dashboarding
- Expertise in a high-level programming language, preferably Python, Scala, or Clojure
- Required: Experience with or high confidence working with Mixpanel, BigQuery, Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager
- Bonus: Experience with Branch, Iterable, advertising attribution, and custom event tracking tools.
- Strong communication, presentation, and collaboration skills.
- An interest in food and/or cooking
And a Little More About Us:
At Yummly, we are a team of talented and diverse engineers, scientists, product experts, and marketers on a mission to rule the kitchen. We've seen great success using machine learning and artificial intelligence to make cooking fun, easy, and personalized. Our iOS and Android apps have 4.5+ star reviews, millions of downloads, and many awards (download and give it a try!).
In 2017, we were acquired by Whirlpool, the world's largest home appliance maker. Together, we are building the fully connected kitchen of the future.
We're putting the finishing touches on our permanent home office in San Carlos that will open its doors in 2021. Due to COVID-19, we are all working at home at the moment and will remain flexible through mid-year 2021. In the meantime, we are planning and implementing high-level safety protocols for working in the office when the time comes.
Please talk to us if you have a love for data, hard problems, and food!
Yummly is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.