Internal Application: Vice President of Engineering
Together Labs | Hybrid in Redwood City, CA | Full Time | From $248,000.00 to $334,000.00 per year
Vice President of Engineering
Redwood City, CA
Together Labs is the company behind the online social game IMVU. IMVU is a global 3D avatar-based social community of users who come together to play, interact, and make friends. Far beyond traditional social media, IMVU users customize an avatar representing themselves to express and interact with other avatars creating a greater sense of social presence – the feeling of being with someone else as if you’re physically there.
Today, over 3 million IMVU users enjoy the freedom to live the life they create through highly-stylized avatars, interacting with friends in immersive chat rooms, shopping for new looks, and sharing their experiences. IMVU is an expressive and collaborative world which includes over 50,000 creators making real money using design tools to create looks and rooms to sell in the IMVU Store.
To continue our success, we are making it more convenient than ever for friends to stay connected in our game across mobile platforms, desktop and more. We aim to establish a new paradigm for avatar based social interactions, making it easier to express oneself, interact with other players in ways that conventional video games are unable to achieve. We also thrive to continue our unrivaled support for our Creators, who today provide our platform with over 65 million virtual goods, and expand our Creator support through innovations such as empowering them to create games and social experience.
Our ideal candidate will have a strong track record of managing engineering organizations, delivering products, working well with stakeholders, and solving problems. They will be able to build, manage, and grow a talented group of engineers and other professionals, and balance the needs of the company, their employees, and our customers.
Key Requirements (must-haves)
1. Experience with managing a consumer product for iOS and Android, for a virtual world, MMO game, or social experience in 3D with at least 1 million users, on top of in-house or off-the-shelf game engine (like Unity, Unreal, Godot, etc), with a home-grown large scale (MMO) backend for real-time multi-player. This includes build and deployment infrastructure & tooling, internal tooling for managing art assets, and working closely with the art team.
2. Building the Tech Vision and Strategy for Together Labs and aligning with our overall Goals for the company.
3. Representing Together Labs with our Board and future potential investors and communicating our engineering and tech strategy effectively
4. Establishing a healthy, positive company wide culture through collaboration between Business, Product, Marketing and the Engineering team.
5. Managing managers, and growing an organization of at least 20-60 engineers.
6. Manage distributed teams, including offshore (Eastern Europe, India, etc)
Important Pluses (but not must-haves)
1. Experience dealing with UGC / Creator marketplace & tooling.
2. Experience delivering on other platforms beyond Mobile (web, desktop, VR)
3. Experience with C++, C#, and Java
4. Having built a product from scratch, launched and supported for several years through multiple versions.
5. Experience with Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery / Continuous Deployment in the cloud
6. Experience with content moderation & abuse-prevention of user communities
Together Labs innovates technologies that empower people worldwide to connect, create and earn in virtual worlds. Our mission is to redefine social media as a catalyst for authentic human connection through the development of a family of products grounded in this core value. These include: IMVU, the world's largest friendship discovery and social platform; VCOIN, the first regulatory-approved transferable digital currency; and WithMe, an upcoming mobile platform built on insights from the science of friendship. For more information, please visit https://togetherlabs.com/
Founded in 2004 and based in the heart of Silicon Valley, Together Labs is led by a team that's dedicated to pioneering in virtual worlds. Together Labs is backed by venture investors Menlo Ventures, Allegis Capital, Bridgescale Partners and Best Buy Capital.
Together Labs (formerly IMVU) has been for nine years running as Best Place to Work in the Silicon Valley.
HOW TO APPLY
Please familiarize yourself with our products and feel free to try out our core product at https://www.imvu.com/
Together Labs is an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to fostering a culture of inclusion. Our unique differences enable us to learn, collaborate, and grow together. We welcome all applicants without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identification, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, decisions regarding reproductive health, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
The base salary range for this position is based in the San Francisco Bay Area. Total compensation will be determined based on several factors, including a candidate’s experience, qualifications, competencies, and location. At Together Labs, base pay is part of a larger design. We intentionally invest in 6 elements: base pay, short-term incentives, long-term incentives, retirement, health, and wellness.