Senior Backend Engineer - Services Team - PHP
IMVU | Redwood City, CA | Full Time
Senior Backend Engineer - PHP
Redwood City, CA
As a Senior Backend Developer, you'll be building the platform that makes up the core of modern social networks. You will join the Services team, the "front-line" backend engineers that enable our acclaimed client apps. As we continue to add powerful features for our users, your creative designs will keep the app experience responsive and crisp.
- Build software that powers the experience of millions of users.
Design sophisticated solutions and deploy your own code to production.
Adapt to a diverse set of backend technologies (Redis, Memcache, Elastic Search, domain-specific languages, and many more)
Work with a team of highly-motivated server and client engineers.
- Set teamwide best practices for PHP code quality and API architecture.
- Set standards for internal API documentation and development workflows.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience.
A firm grasp of Computer Science fundamentals including object oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
5+ years of web API development.
- 1+ years in modern PHP (7+).
- Extensive experience with and knowledge of [multi-tier] applications and RESTful APIs.
- Knowledgeable of real-time web UI technology (ex. WebSockets, HTTP/2, pub/sub, messaging brokers).
- Developed consumer applications that have handled significant public traffic (10k+ daily active users).
- Experience with REST API documentation strategies (Swagger, PHPDoc).
- Familiar with Slim and REST API frameworks for PHP.
- Professional Experience in .NET/C# server-side development.
- Knowledge of data pipelining and pub/sub architectures.
- Experience in data architecture: SQL databases, caching, sharding.
- Knowledge of DevOps systems, CI/CD, deployment pipeline.
Based in Silicon Valley, IMVU (imm-view) is the world’s largest friendship discovery and social platform, and a top 5 grossing app in the App Store, where millions of users customize their avatars and explore over 40,000+ destinations to connect with each other. Through chat and events, IMVU’s massive metaverse enables and empowers friendship and human connection. A community of hundreds of thousands of users power IMVU’s peer to peer economy by designing and selling virtual fashion designs and destinations, adding to a growing catalog of 50 million items. The IMVU experience is available on the web, a desktop app, and as an iOS and Android app.
Together Labs innovates technologies that empower people worldwide to connect, create and earn in virtual worlds. Our mission is to redefine social media as a catalyst for authentic human connection through the development of a family of products grounded in this core value. These include: IMVU, the world's largest friendship discovery and social platform; VCOIN, the first regulatory-approved transferable digital currency; and WithMe, an upcoming mobile platform built on insights from the science of friendship. For more information, please visit https://togetherlabs.com/
Founded in 2004 and based in the heart of Silicon Valley, Together Labs is led by a team that's dedicated to pioneering the virtual reality industry. Together Labs is backed by venture investors Menlo Ventures, Allegis Capital, Bridgescale Partners, and Best Buy Capital.
Together Labs (formerly IMVU) has been recognized frequently as Best Place to Work in the Silicon Valley.
HOW TO APPLY
Please familiarize yourself with our products and feel free to try out our core product at https://www.imvu.com/
Together Labs is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.