Vice President for Programs and Impact (Country Director)
Senior Management | Southeastern Region, Liberia | Full Time
Commitment: Twenty-four month commitment required with potential for extension;
Location: Southeast Liberia with frequent travel, particularly to Monrovia;
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience; travel expenses to and from Liberia; housing
Reports to: Managing Director
Apply: Applications accepted on a rolling basis until June 20, 2014
About Last Mile Health:
Last Mile Health, founded in 2007 and known in Liberia as Tiyatien Health, is a non-profit social enterprise dedicated to developing a scalable solution to the rural health access problem in the developing world. The cornerstone of our new health delivery system for remote villages is our frontline health workers (FHW)—community members trained to become effective health professionals. Supported through supervision, proper equipment, compensation, and integration in a broader health team, these FHWs are able to provide life-saving diagnostic, treatment, and referral services in their own communities.
Over the past year, Last Mile Health and the Liberian Ministry of Health Social Welfare have piloted this model to successfully cover 15,000 people in Liberia’s remote southeast. This year, Last Mile Health will be launching several new replication sites, while we continue planning with the Liberian government and other partners to scale this model across Liberia and eventually in Last Mile communities across the world. Our work has been recognized or supported by the Clinton Global Initiative, the Forbes Philanthropy Summit, the Mulago Foundation, the Segal Family Foundation, Draper Richards Kaplan, and the Pershing Square Foundation.
Overview - VP of Programs and Impact (Country Director):
Supervising all of our staff in Liberia, the Vice President for Programs and Impact is responsible for executing our mission to save lives in remote villages through strategy alignment and executive management. As a member of the senior leadership team, this position develops and executes strategies for improving and expanding our work in Liberia, serves as the senior-most representative of our organization in-country, and manages our team of over 150 national and international staff (in addition to over 75% of the organization’s total budget) in Liberia. This position reports to Last Mile Health’s Managing Director and serves as a member of the Executive Team alongside the Vice President for Growth Strategy and the Vice President of Finance and Administration.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
Partnerships & Growth
- Supervise the Deputy Country Director for Policy and Partnerships in executing Last Mile Health’s growth strategy in Liberia, particularly by advocating for changes to national policy and by forging innovative partnerships with the Liberian Ministry of Health, partner NGOs, and international funding entities (e.g., USAID) to deploy our model in new settings.
- Serve as Last Mile Health’s senior-most external representative in Liberia, developing relationships with key stakeholders at the local and national level in the government, NGO, and private sectors, negotiating partnerships on behalf of the organization, and appearing on behalf of the organization as appropriate at public events and meetings.
- Working with the VP for Growth Strategy, assist in developing an integrated partnerships, advocacy, and revenue acquisition strategy to scale Last Mile Health’s model across Liberia and to other locations, with the priority of achieving government adoption of our model in Liberia.
Program Strategy and Management
- Supervise the Deputy Country Director for Programs in developing and deploying a broadly replicable model health system that saves lives in remote villages using frontline health workers.
- Review and approve any significant changes or additions to the program, participating as needed in planning and design conversations to ensure the program model meets Last Mile Health’s standards for quality and scalability.
- Assume responsibility for program quality; set clear targets for quality and verify that ongoing implementation of our work by Last Mile Health or partners meets those targets. Report regularly to the Executive Team on the state of program quality issues.
Operations and Administration
- Supervise the Deputy Country Director for Operations to achieve consistent and cost-effective field operations and to steward Last Mile Health’s financial, human and physical assets in Liberia.
- In partnership with the Vice President for Finance and Administration, supervise the in-country operations team to develop protocols and guidelines for human resources, finance, procurement, and logistics. Assume responsibility for ensuring that all in-country activities conform to these regulations.
- Serve as the final point of approval for in-country expenditures, hires, and equipment/facility use.
- Serve as the primary staff representative to the Liberian Board of Directors, a body established to provide local governance and support to the organization.
- Pursuant to Last Mile Health’s history of local leadership and development, build a roadmap to develop and support national staff and transition the Liberian organization in the long-term to national staff management.
Above all, this position requires excellent leadership skills. The successful candidate will need to be able to support and motivate a large and culturally diverse team, embodying Last Mile Health’s values of Service, Science, Courage, and Love. In reviewing applicants we will be seeking a demonstrated record of assuming significant professional responsibility and delivering on complex organizational goals with integrity and grace. Due to the high volume of applications, we ask that candidates without such experience refrain from applying to this position and consider applying for other roles on our team.
Some other expectations include:
- Significant management experience, with a graduate degree in management, public health, or other related field strongly preferred
- Experience bringing programs to scale, particularly in partnership with the government
- Prior experience in a remote setting and willingness to travel to various program sites and between Liberia and the United States as needed
- Generosity of spirit, sensitivity/diplomacy, and willingness to make sacrifices in service of the mission
- Willingness to travel into the field, spend occasional nights in rural communities with few amenities, and travel by motorbike for field supervision of FHWs strongly preferred
- High level of initiative to innovate and lead in remote and resource-limited settings
- Commitment to health and social justice
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including across cultures and backgrounds
- Experience working closely with employees recruited in a post-conflict or resource-poor setting
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple tasks at one time in time-sensitive manner
- Comfort working with a casual but high-performing team.
Please submit all of the following materials with your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Cover letter, including an expression of interest: In your own words, explain why you want to work with Last Mile Health. What is it about the position that interests you? Why are you the right person for the role?
- Curriculum Vitae, including three professional references (should be current or former employers)