Senior Systems Engineer / DevOps
Technology | Chicago, IL | Full Time
About This Role:
We are looking for a senior systems engineer and DevOps champion who can wrangle our infrastructure automation and support our software engineers as we build out new Threadless.com features. The Threadless platform consists of multiple web applications and services that together form the internet's premiere community design destination. We're powered entirely by open source technologies with a specific love of all things Python. Our system and application configurations are handled using Chef and we deploy everything to the cloud. This position is for an engineer that can keep our Threadless applications screaming fast, manage our automatic rapid fire deployments, and control our massive armies of automated systems and services like a tyrant robot overlord. Even though you will reign supreme over the machines, you must also work well in a highly collaborative environment with fellow technologists, product owners, and our artist community.
We're people from all over the world who come together to make great art.
We started with tees, but tons of products make great canvases. We work with partners to find these canvases for our artists, but it's our community who makes and picks the best art. The weird art. The geeky art. The beautiful art. So when you buy from us, you support great art.
Threadless. Make Great Together
BS in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience supporting large web applications (PHP and/or Python/Django a plus)
- 5+ years of experience administrating Linux systems. (Ubuntu a plus)
- Experience with a cloud hosting provider. (AWS or Rackspace Cloud a plus)
- Database experience: master/slave replication, schema migrations, ETL processes, troubleshooting, and performance tuning. (MongoDB and other NoSQL experience is a plus)
- Experience using automation technologies like Chef or Puppet.
- Expertise in: Linux, Apache, Nginx, MySQL, Python, Virtualization, Networking, Security, and PCI Compliance Policies.
- Ability to use DevOps methodologies to facilitate agile software development, frequent releases, cloud systems automation, and quality assurance automation.
- Understanding of Git branching, merging, and deployments in to production systems.
- Working knowledge of load testing and profiling tools (New Relic, ApacheBench, Siege, etc)
- Practical use of modern web frameworks
What You're Like:
- Amazing sense of humor
- Smart, but modest
- Disciplined self-starter, dependable and willing to go the extra mile to deliver great results
- Ability to thrive and lead small project focused teams
- Ability to interact effectively, confidently and credibly with peers and senior team members across the company
- Curious and interested in understanding how existing functionality fits together
- Interested in the future of the Internet, and how it will shape humanity