Civil Design Engineer
Residential Development | Indianapolis, IN | Full Time
Thompson Thrift is seeking a Full-Time Civil Design Engineer to assist the Civil Design Managers and Preconstruction Managers throughout all phases of the design/bid/contract process. The major objective of this position is to help oversee the site design of all residential projects; including but not limited to civil, landscape architecture and retaining wall design. As the Civil Design Engineer, you will take direction from the Design Managers and the Director of Preconstruction and will assist in all necessary activities to achieve successful projects.
- Review construction documents for completeness, constructability, aesthetics and consistency with Residential Design Standards.
- Assist in plan review to ensure coordination between disciplines; including civil, structural, architectural, MEP, pool, retaining wall and landscape architecture.
- Check for uniformity and compliance within the plans, including but not limited to: standard dimensions, detailing, building service leads, utility design and scope, grading and accessibility.
- Assist Design Manager with coordination of dry utilities.
- Review and understand Geotechnical Reports and assist in analyzing cut/fill documentation for site grading efficiencies.
- Help maintain Residential Design Guidelines Manual.
- Assist in maintaining project Plan Review Checklist.
- Filing and distribution of the construction documents.
- Initiate and track plan revisions on current projects as well as projects in design.
- Assist Design Managers in RFP creation and review of proposals and bids.
- Track and understand project costs with the goal of minimizing project budget.
Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Outlook, Acrobat Professional (AutoCAD preferred).
Bachelor’s Degree in Landscape Architecture, Civil Engineering, or Related Field preferred.
1-3 years of experience in a design firm is preferred.
Ability to read and understand construction plans and assemblies.
Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously in fast paced environment.
Flexible to travel on several overnight trips.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employees may perform other duties as assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands; and verbal communication. The employee frequently uses a computer keyboard and monitor. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is regularly required to be mobile and the employee occasionally travels both short and long distances via a variety of conveyances. The employee occasionally performs work on-site at construction work sites, office locations, and/or off-site venues. Performing this job will sometimes require the employee to walk work sites that do not have infrastructure, this includes walking on uneven surfaces, through mud, through ruts, etc. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office or remote setting. The noise in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate in an office setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally work at construction work sites where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, and the risk of electrical shock. The noise in the construction work environment is usually moderate to loud. The employee is required to work in compliance with company safety policies, procedures, and applicable laws.
At Thompson Thrift, we work to fulfill our mission daily ‘to positively impact our team members and the communities we serve.’ As a successful, 30+ year development and construction company, we are looking for team members who are inspired by our mission and share our core values of leadership, excellence and service. Our construction teams work in a driven, fast-paced work environment and have tremendous room for professional growth. Full time position with benefit package including health insurance, vision, dental, short and long-term disability, 401K and paid time off.
Are you ready to join our team?