Vineyard | Napa, CA | Full Time
Vit Tech assists in the day-to-day management of the Hess Mt Veeder Vineyards under the supervision and in close collaboration with Director of Vineyard Operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
40% Quality Control of Farming Operations
- Assist with monitoring of individual block performance and highlight issues.
- Assist in managing and coordinating the fungicide spray program.
- Responsible for collection and interpretation of viticulture data (phenology, soil and tissue testing, yields). Contribute to the development of IPM strategies to control pest and diseases.
- Collaborate with Vineyard Manager in harvest tasks.
- Leads vineyard trials, gather data, and recommends new ideas for experiments.
- Collaborate in the scheduling of irrigation. Prepare and distribute work orders.
- Assist with the Company’s vineyard redevelopment program and nurseries QC monitoring.
- Tour/host guests of the winery on Mt Veeder estate vineyards.
- Other duties as assigned.
25% AgCode Support
- Act as the main contact person within the vineyard department for AgCode management
- Maintain Vineyard Asset Management up-to-date
- Develop and manage crop estimates for Mount Veeder Estate Ranches
- Generate work orders for pesticide and fertilizer applications. Monitor completion of the scheduled tasks and reports PUR
- Maintains productivity targets for vineyard farming activities
- Harvest support for scale, delivery tags and record keeping
- Develop and presents an End-of-the-year Vintage Outcome report
25% Compliance and Safety
- Act as Vineyard Department Safety Captain. Takes an active leadership role in the safety program including but not limited to scheduling safety meetings and documenting attendance
- COVID Safety management
- Monitor and report water readings for estate ponds.
- Maintain all mandatory quality, environmental and safety regulatory record keeping requirements.
- Execute safety inspections for vineyard and shop building, fire extinguishers and ladders
- Act as main liaison with Fish Friendly Farming to ensure sustainable practices are aligned to approved Farm Plan. Execute photo monitoring and applicable reporting
- Collaborate in the preparation of data for CSWA for Mt Veeder properties
Some viticulture experience
Bachelor of Science in related field
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Must have a current Driver’s license and good DMV record
LANGUAGE AND ATTITUDINAL SKILLS:
- Ability to work long hours as per business needs
- Embodies the Hess Collection behaviors of Acting Profitably, Team Player, Agent of Change and Leads by Example
- Ability to collaborate with peers and managers in different work environments
- Ability to exercise independent judgment as required to perform duties and responsibilities.
- Spanish speaking a plus but not required
- Ability to adapt to new situations and be flexible
- Proactivly improves processes and systems
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Microsoft Outlook
- Strong prioritization, organization and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Basic mathematical skills required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear
- Frequently required to stand and walk
- Required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 45 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
- Must have normal night vision and be able to navigate in the dark
- The position requires working outside in all weather conditions, exposure to extreme heat and cold in some cases
- Complete mobility (walking, bending, and stretching) in the vineyard on uneven terrain
- Office related tasks include sitting at a desk, using computer-based technology