On Call Lead Cook (Performance bonus of $1,000!)
Culinary | Napa, CA | Temporary
PURPOSE OF JOB:
This individual will be expected to work every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for the month of June along with a few trainings prior. This role has the possibility of remaining on call to support various events and high-volume time periods. Reports to Executive Chef, preparing daily menu, prep, and desserts. Responsible for maintaining the quality, presentation, professional attitude, and sanitation of the kitchen. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of California’s finest wine families, known for exceptional wines which elevate every occasion; now and for generations to come. This individual will be eligible for a grossed up $1,000 performance bonus upon the return of the Executive Chef at the end of June.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Ensures that level of quality, portion control, and plate presentation is adhered to consistently.
- Prepares a variety of cuisine utilizing skill and creativity.
- Knowledge of food preparation and cooking procedures.
- Assists with pastries, chocolates and other duties as needed.
- Assists and execute food and wine pairing for clients.
- Skillfully utilizes hand tools or machines required, reads recipes, measures, cuts, and otherwise works on materials with great precision.
- Possesses and maintains through understanding of industry and stays abreast of industry trends; communicates/incorporates information to assure kitchen remains current.
- Able to multi-task.
- Able to self-motivate in work environment.
- Able to follow written or verbal instructions.
- Assists Sous Chef/Executive Chef as needed.
- Maintains a clean, organized, and safe kitchen; ensures all sanitation procedures are being followed; ensures adherence to all health and safety regulations and procedures.
- Obtain/have Food Handlers certification as applicable.
- Able to work all shifts including weekends and holidays.
- Follow opening and closing procedures.
- Obtain/have First Aid CPR certification.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Executive Chef.
- Able to cook, plate, and execute an event by self.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Graduate of a culinary school preferred.
- Five to six years related experience or equivalent.
- Current knowledge of regional and national trends in food and beverage.
- Wine and food pairing knowledge and skill.
- Ability to work all types of events: off premise catering, in house plated dinners, food and wine events.
- Thorough knowledge of food preparation techniques and styles.
- Basic competence in subordinates’ duties and tasks.
- Good judgement with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Passion, enthusiasm, focus, creativity, and a positive outlook.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow.
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds.
- Bilingual skills a plus.
- Ability to work in the garden; planting and harvesting of produce.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS:
- Safe food handling Certificate
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Stand for long periods of time.
- Lift and move up to 50 pounds.
- Visually inspect quality of food presentation.
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.