Activities Program Assistant - Brattleboro
Activities | Brattleboro, VT | Full Time
** Applications without completed employment history will not be considered **
Program Assistant - Full Time 30+ hours per week
The Program Assistant is responsible for caring for and assisting participants in our Adult Day Program with activities of daily living, assisting with meals and assisting with keeping service areas clean.
In addition, Program Assistants carry out planned activities as assigned and work collaboratively with other program staff and management to foster an environment where participants can engage in creative, stimulating and therapeutic activities that foster independence, self-esteem and communication.
- Supports the mission and values of The Gathering Place.
- Interacts with participants, staff, family care givers, and the general public in ways that demonstrate the agency’s commitment to courtesy, service, and hospitality.
- Assist participants with the activities of daily living, ambulation and other personal care including, but not limited to: transfers, toileting, food preparation and feeding, skin care and bathing.
- Assists with program activities to assure appropriate staffing levels are maintained.
- Assists with and leads activities as requested.
- Report changes and suggestions to supervisor to assist with goal development.
- Timely documentation as required.
- Provide one-on-one companionship to participants/clients.
- Maintain a clean working environment.
- Assist with food service and clean-up.
- Keep food preparation and service areas clean and sanitized.
- Wash dishes, launder linens, clean appliances, sanitize sinks, counters, tables and chairs.
- Performs all tasks in a safe manner, following established safety and infection control practices and procedures, including universal precautions and proper hand washing technique.
- Interacts with all colleagues in ways that assist one another in the successful performance of their duties.
- Supports an atmosphere that promotes a positive and respectful work environment.
- Identifies, prevents, and reports actual or suspected abuse, neglect, exploitation, and improper use of chemical and physical restraints, in accordance with standards.
- Abides by the current laws and organizational standards and procedures designed and implemented to promote an environment which is free of sexual harassment and other forms of illegal discriminatory behavior in the work place.
- Cooperates with, participates in, and supports the adherence to all organization standards, procedures, and practices in support of risk management and overall safety and soundness and compliance with all regulatory requirements, i.e., HIPAA, OSHA, etc.; insures that the department and all personnel adhere to the same.
- Communicates with supervisor, managers, and appropriate staff personnel in order to integrate goals and activities.
- Displays appropriate knowledge of the Participant Bill of Rights.
- Demonstrate proper procedures in responding to a fire drill, reporting employee injuries and reporting any security incidents.
- Ensures process for participants to lodge a complaint is communicated in a clear manner to meet TGP objectives.
- Demonstrates proper procedure for protecting confidential information, including guidelines when participant specific data is displayed on a computer screen; always maintains security of computer access codes.
- Performs and documents vital statistics and exercise or physical therapy regimens
- Acts within the scope of his/her authority to practice.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to prioritize assignments
- Ability to lift up to thirty pounds and safely transfer clients as needed.
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Knowledge of food preparation sanitation guidelines
- Leadership qualities within activities
Education, Experience, Certifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Licensed Nursing Assistant preferred but not required and/or one or more years’ experience working with elders or adults with disabilities.
- A combination of education and experience will be considered