Software Engineering Manager
Host & Infrastructure - Software | Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
This Software Engineering Manager role requires providing leadership, and management direction to your team of software developers and being responsible for supporting your team’s career development. As the Agile Product Owner of a product, you will fill a role that is both strategic and tactical, defining short, mid and long-term product direction. As the main contact for a key Teradici partner you will oversee software delivery, manage partner feature requests, handle high profile escalations and interface with the partner’s development and product management teams.
- As Agile Project Owner:
- Interface with key stakeholders to define, develop, shape and refine requirements of software products.
- Manage the product backlog and refine its contents on an ongoing basis.
- Collaborate with the Scrum Master to run successful Release Planning and Sprint Planning sessions, as well as Sprint Reviews and Retrospectives.
- Collaboratively define product features and releases with a cross-functional development team.
- Detail-oriented leader who can quantify and communicate the importance of features or products in terms of value to your team members and the company at large.
- Add new features (user stories) to your product backlog and refine existing stories "just-in-time".
- Thoroughly and accurately represent the business and our customers.
- Vet new ideas or features against company strategy and goals.
- Communicate effectively, sharing plans, successes and failures.
- As Software Engineering Manager:
- Lead employees using a performance management and development process, includes goal setting, feedback, and performance development planning.
- Monitor individual employees’ performance; conduct performance management and salary reviews for direct reports.
- Help developers resolve both technical and people resources issues.
- Provide leadership and guidance to coach, motivate and lead team members to their optimum performance levels and career development.
- Work with HR to resource and recruit software developers for future growth.
- Ensure coordination and communication with other functional groups.
- Minimum of 5 years of management/leadership experience in a software development organization required
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or equivalent
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Ability to communicate customer needs and collaborate with a larger group to find innovative solutions
- Critical to have planning facilitation at all levels; from product strategy/vision to development iteration and daily execution
- Product Owners must be team-oriented, focused and comfortable using both quantitative and qualitative data as a gauge for prioritization
- Desire to work in an exciting environment and deliver new technologies and products to the marketplace
- A record of successful delivery of software applications as an individual, team leader and/or development manager
- Strong leadership, project management skills, time management and problem solving skills
We are a growing company that is a key player in the exciting and cutting edge domain of desktop and application virtualization. We believe in a work environment that stretches you to your maximum potential and recognizes and rewards effort. Working both individually and as part of a team, you can expect challenge and satisfaction. We also offer competitive compensation, stock options and comprehensive benefits.