Quality Systems Engineer
Production | Traverse City, MI | Full Time
Who are we?
Rooted in humility, hard work, and a little weirdness, TentCraft is a juggernaut of manufacturing quality, and has been since 2005. We produce professional marketing elements – including tents, flags, and everything in between – for the most discerning brands and agencies across North America. Our farm-to-table approach means there’s no middleman, resulting in greater project transparency, faster production time, and tighter budget control. Long story short, we’re one big talented wolf pack that’s dedicated to our work, our clients, and our TentCraft family, and we’re not afraid to get our paws dirty. Currently, we’re hunting for some new wolves to add to our pack of creative individuals – you could be one of those wolves!
What are we looking for:
Talented, creative, enthusiastic and motivated people who genuinely care about what they do. The Quality Systems Engineer will be responsible for all activities that protect the customer and will report directly to the VP of Manufacturing. This position will be accountable for working interdepartmentally to ensure that the customer expectation is met for every order. You have to be systems oriented, extremely disciplined, unwavering and be brave enough to speak up when something is not good enough otherwise this position will not be for you. Willingness to go the extra mile and flexibly work extra hours required to support strict deadlines is a must for this position, if you have capacity issues that do not allow you to be flexible with this schedule then this position is not for you. A good sense of humor, incredible work ethic and motivation to burst through ceilings are essential. If you have any other skills, passions or abilities they will absolutely be utilized and we encourage you to share them with us.
What you will be responsible for:
- Protecting the customer.
- Training - Creating and managing a training system for all production employees.
- Failure Analysis, Root Cause Corrective Action (RCCA) investigations, and Continuous Improvement projects.
- Track and communicate to the organization Customer Quality issues, rejections, escapes, failures, problems, audit findings, etc. and work with the appropriate functions to develop recovery plans, RCCA plans, and continuous improvement activities focused on resolving the issues and driving customer satisfaction.
- Team with the Supply Chain organization to address supplier quality issues and to improve incoming material quality
- Root Cause & Corrective Action - All root cause and corrective action activities to achieve 95% internal and 95% external quality goals for 2018.
- Standard Work - Creating and managing an accurate standard work procedure system.
- Leading all quality initiatives and providing mentorship to all production value streams.
- Assist the Quality team with the effective management of Quality requirements associated with internal, customer/industry standards.
- Develop cost effective controls/solutions to reduce costs of poor quality (rework, scrap, warranty escapes).
- Working interdepartmentally to ensure that the customer expectation is met for every order.
What you need:
- 4 Year college degree – Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial Engineering preferred.
- Quality System Management experience in a manufacturing business that is ISO Certified / Compliant.
- Proven experience with creating controlled standard work and training systems.
- Extensive experience with the use root cause and corrective action tools. Six Sigma experience preferred.
- The natural ability to think like a customer, be unwavering and brave enough to speak up when a problem is noticed or if the solution is not good enough.
- Have a mindset to Continuously Improve processes as well as themselves.
- Ability to keep up in a fast-paced team environment, have the ability to multi-task and reflect a positive attitude towards challenging job requirements.
- Possess strong communications skills (Don’t take this as fluff…we are serious. Communication is a big deal here).
- Trustworthy, punctual and dependable.
What we’ll give you:
- Opportunity – you won’t do busy work or avoid rocking the boat; you’ll have a palpable impact, contributing directly to operational success and expansion.
- A flexible work schedule. Work/life balance is important to us, and we encourage you to be active outside the office! Though, flexibility also means being available for extended hours when needed
- A job that will make all your friends jealous
- Comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with company match, 21 paid days off per year, cell phone reimbursement, health and wellness reimbursement, and more!
We began as a start-up company within a large organization and have experienced rapid and sustainable growth by hiring A+ people who are committed to the continued growth and success of this company. We offer a tremendous work environment, great leadership and all the help you could ever ask for. We aren’t interested in job-hoppers or anybody looking to dip their toes in the water. We want people ready to jump in the deep end and help us continue to gain market share from our competitors, introduce new products and become an even better turn-key vendor for our clients than we currently are. Our goal is for this to be the best job you’ve ever had.
TentCraft, Inc. and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, genetic information, disability, or any other characteristics as protected by federal, state or local law.