LEAN/Continuous Improvement Engineer
Engineering | Traverse City, MI | Full Time
Who are we?
Rooted in humility, hard work, and some fun and a little weirdness (one of our six ‘Guiding Principles’), TentCraft is a capabilities rich manufacturer with a no-shame obsession with the world of experiential and outdoor marketing. We live, work and play in Traverse City, Michigan, and while you’ll find our work nationwide, we operate together from a single facility. Everything we design, engineer, build, print and sew happens under one roof and is proudly American made. Long story short, we’re one big talented team of LEAN thinkers dedicated to Make it Better from sea to shining sea for our clients and our TentCraft family. We’ve always got continuous improvement on our minds and creative solutions are our jam, so if we need to get a little scrappy to make magic actually happen, we’re down for that.
Cool, right? Sound like you? Let’s talk.
What we are looking for:
A high level lean practitioner who isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty. The ideal candidate should have a proven background implementing and expanding lean practices within a manufacturing facility. As the lean champion for the organization, this role will work with all Production departments to help improve process flow throughout the plant. This role will work on time studies for the site, line balancing for production, and 5s/Lean Initiatives. In addition, this role will work in a Project Engineering capacity on equipment sourcing and production line improvements. You have to be systems and process oriented, extremely disciplined, unwavering and be brave enough to speak up when something is not good enough. You must possess a good sense of humor, incredible work ethic, and the confidence to (through data), try new things.
What you will be responsible for:
- Drive business improvements by identifying the opportunities, defining business requirements, build the business case, and design the process and technology solutions to achieve results
- Provide facilitation support for Value Stream Mapping and Capacity planning activities across Operations and Product Development
- Design, develop, and implement improved work flow
- Facilitate Kaizen and process improvement activities
- Structure, develop, and deploy a framework for Problem Solving
- Manage deployment and adoption of new processes and systems utilizing effective and efficient tools and templates.
- Create/update Standard Work, visual aids, and process standards for production operations
- Train Associates in principles of Lean Manufacturing (5S, 8 Wastes, Value added/Non-value added analysis, poka yoke), and Formal Problem Solving techniques
- Update master projects lists. Provide summary progress reports for management review
What you need:
- Cover Letter describing why you would be a great fit for this role at TentCraft
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Industrial or Mechanical preferred)
- Minimum of 3+ years working in a manufacturing facility, with experience in Process Improvement
- Experience working with Lean Manufacturing Tools
- Experience working with Enterprise Software Management Systems (ERP)
- Proven experience with creating controlled standard work and training systems
- Extensive experience with the use root cause and corrective action tools, Six Sigma experience preferred
- Have a mindset to Continuously Improve processes as well as themselves.
- Ability to keep up in a fast-paced team environment, have the ability to multi-task and reflect a positive attitude towards challenging job requirements.
- Trustworthy, punctual and dependable.
- Excellent Written and Oral Communication Skills
What we'll give you:
- All of the training and ongoing support you could ever ask for
- A flexible work schedule. Work/life balance is important to us, and we encourage you to be active outside the office!
- A work culture that encourages and challenges you to grow and have fun doing it
We began as a start-up company within a large organization and have experienced rapid and sustainable growth by hiring A+ people who are committed to the continued growth and success of this company. We offer a tremendous work environment, great leadership and all the help you could ever ask for. We aren’t interested in job-hoppers or anybody looking to dip their toes in the water. We want people ready to jump in the deep end and help us continue to gain market share from our competitors, introduce new products and become an even better turn-key vendor for our clients than we currently are. Our goal is for this to be the best job you’ve ever had.
TentCraft, Inc. and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, genetic information, disability, or any other characteristics as protected by federal, state or local law.