Engineering | Toronto, ON, Canada | Full Time
Teknion creates furniture that connects people, technology and spaces. We hold to a simple yet powerful principle: design does matter. We are a different kind of company–one with an entrepreneurial spirit defined by passion, curiosity and bold, creative thinking. A privately held company with a youthful entrepreneurial spirit, we recognize the vast skills, knowledge, perspectives and cultural contributions that diversity brings to Teknion. Because different perspectives and experiences trigger creativity and innovation, diversity is integral to our success. Our employees are the heart and soul of our business. To support their development is to enhance our biggest asset.
Teknion is hiring a full-time Specials Designer for our North York, ON office. The successful candidate will be responsible for the design/modification, CAD based product development, costing, prototyping & technical support of special products to address specific customer needs not covered by the standard product offering.
- Interpret customer needs; modify existing products/designs to create new products that address specific customer requirements.
- Liase with Product Mgmt/others to ensure that derived solutions falls within scope of allowed specials.
- Liase with 3rd party suppliers to source components required to produce the special product.
- Develop product concepts that demonstrate features & functional requirements in response to customer requests.
- Produce detailed drawings for specials using AutoCAD 2014 and/or SolidWorks 2014.
- Create accurate Bills of Materials to support special designs.
- Provide quality control of drawing information by checking the work of other Specials Designers.
- Ability to produce layouts and/or detailed models for presentations.
- Forward quotes to suppliers as required to request pricing on special components & assemblies.
- Utilize quoted costs, knowledge of standard product pricing, estimates & an established pricing procedure to create list pricing for special products.
- Prepare prototypes to prove viability of product & associated process.
- Use prototypes to validate that the special meets or exceeds the design requirements, adheres to Teknion & applicable industry standards & meets the customers’ requirements & specifications.
- Responsible for tool procurement (component, assembly, & fixtures) and development of tools designs with vendors in order to properly manufacture ordered specials.
- Liase with Manufacturing/Manufacturing Eng. as required ensuring the proper processing of specials.
- Provide Technical Support for the manufacturability, function, appearance, product application, product offering, testing and installation of all specials (Past & Present).
- Perform site visits (problem installations) to determine root cause & propose product Improv./solutions.
- Act as project leader for the processing of specials related ECRs & ECOs.
- Liase with Manufacturing, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, Purchasing, Product Support & Product Management to assess the feasibility of producing technically challenging specials.
- Responsible for monitoring of testing & ensuring specials pass all BIFMA, CGSB, CSA, UL tests for furniture hardware/equipment.
- Manage all customer specific projects (specials) from design inception through to finished product.
- Support and lead the evaluation and selection of new vendors specific to new special products.
- Mechanical Engineering Degree from an accredited Post Secondary Institution (Advanced technical certification from an accredited Post Secondary Institution will be considered if accompanied by demonstrated aptitude & experience in a similar role)
- Good technical understanding with respect to the capabilities & limitations of various processes in a sheet metal manufacturing environment.
- Working knowledge of SolidWorks 2014 /AutoCAD 2014 or similar CAD application in a Windows NT environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in Excel & Word for Windows
- Excellent oral & written communication skills and superior organizational skills
- Ability & willingness to work & learn new skills in a fast paced, team environment
- Flexibility to work independently & with minimal supervision
- Ability to perform hands-on prototyping work in a shop environment using common hand tools
Teknion is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
By applying for a position with Teknion, you understand that, should you be made an offer, it will be contingent on your undergoing and successfully completing a background check consistent with Teknion's employment policies. Background checks may include some or all of the following based on the nature of the position: SSN/SIN validation, education verification, employment verification, credit check and criminal check. You will be notified during the hiring process which checks are required by the position
Why you should grow with us!
Company Paid benefits
Group RRSP plan
Excellent work environment and culture
Corporate perks and discounts year round