Senior Specials Designer
Architectural Products | Toronto, ON, Canada | Full Time
Teknion creates furniture that connects people, technology and spaces. We hold to a simple yet powerful principle: design does matter. We are a different kind of company–one with an entrepreneurial spirit defined by passion, curiosity and bold, creative thinking. A privately held company with a youthful entrepreneurial spirit, we recognize the vast skills, knowledge, perspectives and cultural contributions that diversity brings to Teknion. Because different perspectives and experiences trigger creativity and innovation, diversity is integral to our success. Our employees are the heart and soul of our business. To support their development is to enhance our biggest asset. Teknion is hiring a Senior Specials Designer to join our Architectural Products team in our North York, ON head office.
Teknion is hiring a Senior Specials Designer to join our Architectural Products team in our North York, ON head office.
- Re-engineer and modify standard products as required to meet specific customer requirements
- Deliver “specials” solutions in an accurate and timely manner
- Contribute to the development and engineering of new products especially those linked to completed specials designs
- Prepare documentation and coordinate the fabrication of products as necessary
- Lead and support as required on large specials projects by coordinating project requirements with various staff including Pricing Specialist, other Specials Designers, Field Project Management and Manufacturing personnel
- Engage in effective discussions that lead to creative solutions that meet the needs of customers, product design, sales and our dealer partners
- Support the resolution of claims related to specials
- Increase the overall effectiveness of the Specials Design group by sharing information, mentoring and participating in various improvement processes in conjunction with the Specials Engineering Manager.
- Interpret customer needs; develop new or modify existing products/designs to create new products that address specific customer requirements.
- Liase with Product Mgmt/others to ensure that derived solutions falls within scope of allowed specials.
- Prepare complete and accurate technical documentation for developed product ( assembly and part drawings, part specification sheets, BOM ) and other supporting documentation of all technical aspects of the product using a common database and complying with Teknion ISO procedures and internal standards.
- Manage and lead all customer specific projects (specials) from design inception through to finished product
- Provide technical guidance and quality control of drawing information by checking the work of other Specials Designers.
- Liase with 3rd party suppliers to source components required to produce the special product.
- Prepare prototypes to prove viability of product & associated processes.
- Use prototypes to validate that the special meets or exceeds the design requirements, adheres to Teknion & applicable industry standards & meets the customers’ requirements & specifications.
- Responsible for tool procurement (component, assembly, & fixtures) and development of tools designs with vendors in order to properly manufacture ordered specials.
- Provide Technical Support for the manufacturability, function, appearance, product application, product offering, testing and installation of all specials (Past & Present).
- Liaise with Manufacturing, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, Purchasing, Product Support & Product Management Assist with the maintenance of the pricing database to ensure that information is complete & correct. Responsible for the monitoring of testing, and ensuring specials pass all BIFMA, CGSB, CSA, UL tests for furniture hardware/equipment.
- Perform site visits (problem installations) to determine root cause & propose product Improv./solutions.
- Act as project leader for the processing of specials related ECRs & ECOs.
- Assess the feasibility of producing technically challenging specials.
- Responsible for monitoring of testing & ensuring specials pass all BIFMA, CGSB, CSA, IBC, UBC, UL tests for architectural products, hardware/equipment.
- Assist Sales and customers in answering product related technical questions
- Work on special projects or process improvement teams as directed by the AP Eng. Manager.
- Ensure that changes to standards products are reflected in associated previously designed specials
- Ensure that projects are completed on time & within budget.
- Assess the feasibility of producing technically challenging specials
- Mechanical Engineering degree, diploma or equivalent experience
- Demonstrate excellent People and Leadership skils
- 5-8 years engineering experience in a product design and manufacturing environment ( in consumer goods preferred )
- Knowledge and experience with variety of manufacturing processes and materials (ie sheet metal, plastic, glass, wood)
- Good project and time management skills, experience in handling multiple projects
- Excellent organization skills
- Strong 3D modeling and detail design using Solidworks and Autocad
- Hands-on experience with prototype and model making
- Very good communication (verbal and written), presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both in diverse multidisciplinary team environment as well as individually with minimum supervision.
Teknion is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
By applying for a position with Teknion, you understand that, should you be made an offer, it will be contingent on your undergoing and successfully completing a background check consistent with Teknion's employment policies. Background checks may include some or all of the following based on the nature of the position: SSN/SIN validation, education verification, employment verification, credit check and criminal check. You will be notified during the hiring process which checks are required by the position
Why you should grow with us!
Company Paid benefits
Group RRSP plan
Excellent work environment and culture
Corporate perks and discounts year round