Engineering | Canada or US location | Full Time
Teknion creates furniture that connects people, technology and spaces. We hold to a simple yet powerful principle: design does matter. We are a different kind of company–one with an entrepreneurial spirit defined by passion, curiosity and bold, creative thinking. A privately held company with a youthful entrepreneurial spirit, we recognize the vast skills, knowledge, perspectives and cultural contributions that diversity brings to Teknion. Because different perspectives and experiences trigger creativity and innovation, diversity is integral to our success. Our employees are the heart and soul of our business. To support their development is to enhance our biggest asset.
The Manufacturing Engineer interacts with various departments to give technical support and make recommendations for the provision of adequate tools, equipment and methods to produce the most profitable product at the highest quality standard. Develop, improve and maintain the manufacturing capability to meet and exceed quality, safety and cost standard.
- Apply continuous improvement methods such as lean manufacturing to enhance manufacturing quality, repeatability and cost-effectiveness. i.e. conducting Kaizen events, VSM, 5S program, etc.
- Identify opportunities or implement changes to improve products or reduce costs using knowledge of fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment, assembly methods, quality control standards, or product design, materials and parts.
- Incorporate new methods and processes to improve existing operations and train production personnel in new or existing methods.
- Design layout of equipment or work-spaces to achieve maximum efficiency. Investigate or resolve operational problems, such as material use variances or bottlenecks and prepare reports summarizing information or trends related to manufacturing performance.
- Support operational activities including, Engineering, design, production, safety and quality.
- Identifies and implements approved strategies while monitoring performance against established performance objective and targets.
- Works closely with the Managers to identify, develop, and implement the business unit's growth and efficient work processes.
- Provides input in aligning overall strategies and corporate goals with other business units/divisions.
- Ensure new product or engineering change implementations occur in production by supplying information to the involved parties, ordering proper equipment and tooling, implementing processes on the shop floor, approving products and updating engineering product drawings in the database.
- For existing and new products, analyze the costs, materials and labor requirements and as well, issue Engineering Change Requests, modify tooling, layouts (to improve capacity load of product) and material handling to constantly improve the manufacturing process.
- Support ISO9001& ISO14001 process by issuing Process control Sheets for all equipment, doing first off inspections and giving advice for equipment maintenance.
- Liaise with vendors by developing specifications and participating in the design and commissioning of new equipment and/or installations. Also coordinate and negotiate service contracts as necessary.
- Liaise with database Management department for BOM review and Marketing Department for review of installation instructions and price book information.
- Develop and implement Health & Safety procedures in liaison with the appropriate Federal/Provincial safety/environmental agency and industry organizations, and then train and educate the shop floor personnel accordingly.
- Evaluate Temporary Deviation Requests that could be generated internally or externally.
- University engineering degree or equivalent, P. Eng license preferred
- Experience in Lean Manufacturing knowledge and Six Sigma Methodologies i.e. Value stream mapping, 5s programs, scheduling, constraint management, and quality systems
- Minimum Five years experience in sheet metal manufacturing environment
- Experience in Solidworks or AutoCad an asset
- Well-organized, results driven, energetic team player with excellent communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to create and maintain a positive environment focused on maximizing the skills and abilities of all employees
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and decision making capabilities
- Strong desire for entrepreneurial management style and ethical business practices
Teknion is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
By applying for a position with Teknion, you understand that, should you be made an offer, it will be contingent on your undergoing and successfully completing a background check consistent with Teknion's employment policies. Background checks may include some or all of the following based on the nature of the position: SSN/SIN validation, education verification, employment verification, credit check and criminal check. You will be notified during the hiring process which checks are required by the position
Why you should grow with us!
Company Paid benefits
Group RRSP plan
Excellent work environment and culture
Corporate perks and discounts year round