Engineering | Toronto, ON, Canada | Full Time
Teknion creates furniture that connects people, technology and spaces. We hold to a simple yet powerful principle: design does matter. We are a different kind of company–one with an entrepreneurial spirit defined by passion, curiosity and bold, creative thinking. A privately held company with a youthful entrepreneurial spirit, we recognize the vast skills, knowledge, perspectives and cultural contributions that diversity brings to Teknion. Because different perspectives and experiences trigger creativity and innovation, diversity is integral to our success. Our employees are the heart and soul of our business. To support their development is to enhance our biggest asset.
Teknion is currently hiring a full-time Manufacturing Engineer for our Tekform plant in our North York, ON location. The Manufacturing Engineer interacts with various departments to give technical support and make recommendations for the provision of adequate tools, equipment and methods to produce the most profitable product at the highest quality standard. The successful candidate will develop, improve and maintain the manufacturing capability to meet and exceed quality, safety and cost standards by applying lean manufacturing principles.
- Provide manufacturing data and suggestions to the Product Engineering, Design and Customer Service departments so that all manufacturing aspects are considered, to ensure effective production and interact with various departments through teamwork projects, to meet the company’s current and future objectives.
- Ensure new product or engineering change implementations occur in production by supplying information to the involved parties, ordering proper equipment and tooling, implementing processes on the shop floor, approving products and updating engineering product drawings in the database.
- Prototyping new products on the shop floor; preparing special samples and enduring the accuracy of product against design drawings.
- Involvement with new product, process and quality planning (APQP), PPAP, BOM reviews, tooling reviews to support designed parts and process changes. Liaise with related departments for timely execution of the action items.
- For existing and new products, analyze the costs, materials and labor requirements and as well, issue Engineering Change Requests, modify tooling, layouts (to improve capacity load of product) and material handling to constantly improve the manufacturing process.
- Support ISO9001& ISO14001 process by issuing Process Control Sheets for all equipment, doing first off inspections and giving advice for equipment maintenance.
- Liaise with vendors by developing specifications and participating in the design and commissioning of new equipment and/or installations. Also coordinate and negotiate service contracts as necessary.
- Ensure that the manufacturing equipment and manufacturing facilities are operational and safe by evaluating, recommending, developing and implementing preventative maintenance procedures which will also minimize production interruption/delays.
- Support development and implementation of Health & Safety procedures, and then train and educate the shop floor personnel accordingly.
- Keep the company aware of the current technological advances; introduce new technology and automation through justification analysis in order to achieve cost reduction, improve quality and the work environment; ensure necessary paperwork (C.A.R.A. form) is generated.
- Support plant supervisors and lead hands to clarify drawings and special orders so that ship dates and customer expectations are met.
- Support cost reduction programs and value added/value engineering opportunities.
- Evaluate and approve Temporary Deviation Requests that could be generated internally or externally.
- University engineering degree or equivalent
- P. Eng license preferred
- Three - Five years experience in manufacturing environment.
- Computer drafting (AutoCad, Solidworks,..) / Data analysis on spreadsheets / MS Office Applications / CNC Machining Process
- Hands-on experience with process improvement projects, problem solving, and implementation success in Lean Manufacturing principles across the manufacturing material flow paths.
- Knowledge and experience with variety of manufacturing processes and materials (ie sheet metal, plastic, glass, wood)
- Particle board, MDF, wood processing experience is a plus
Teknion is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
By applying for a position with Teknion, you understand that, should you be made an offer, it will be contingent on your undergoing and successfully completing a background check consistent with Teknion's employment policies. Background checks may include some or all of the following based on the nature of the position: SSN/SIN validation, education verification, employment verification, credit check and criminal check. You will be notified during the hiring process which checks are required by the position
Why you should grow with us!
Company Paid benefits
Group RRSP plan
Excellent work environment and culture
Corporate perks and discounts year round