Business Analyst - Project Manager
Information Technology | Toronto, ON, Canada | Full Time
Teknion creates furniture that connects people, technology and spaces. We hold to a simple yet powerful principle: design does matter. We are a different kind of company–one with an entrepreneurial spirit defined by passion, curiosity and bold, creative thinking. A privately held company with a youthful entrepreneurial spirit, we recognize the vast skills, knowledge, perspectives and cultural contributions that diversity brings to Teknion. Because different perspectives and experiences trigger creativity and innovation, diversity is integral to our success. Our employees are the heart and soul of our business. To support their development is to enhance our biggest asset.
The role of the Business Analyst (B.A.) is to act as a strategic business partner by engaging the business at the early stages or discovery phase of a project / initiative. Must perform due diligence to study, listen & learn the business, and to consult, advise and recommend accordingly to prepare for the project execution stage.
The B.A. is accountable to review, analyse, and evaluate business systems and user needs. Will work to formulate systems to parallel overall business strategies. The B.A. has an advisory role to stakeholders on whether programming results are meeting the client’s requirements based upon their business needs.
The B.A. reports to the Director, Business Applications. Other stakeholders include the business project owner; communicating the business specifications to the Programming Team Lead and / or designated programmer(s) (whether internal or external resource).
Will also be required to undertake project management for the I.T. project deliverables for the Corporate IT Project Management Office.
- Designing end-to-end business processes. Consults with business staff to develop understanding of the varied and complex business needs supported by the system. Responsible for determining how changing business needs will affect the system. Understands the role of an integrated system and provides ideas & recommendations regarding the evolution of the system.
- Responds to questions and influences the client regarding current and potential system inputs, processes, and outputs. Conducts research and analysis into the nature, effect and results of system problems. Develops detailed business user requirements, analytical documentation, workflow procedures, and data modeling. Negotiates plans, time frames and trade-offs while ensuring client understands the final results of the project (either to assist the project owner or directly).
- Responsible for determining how changing business-needs will affect the system. Reviews requested system changes, and develop detailed specifications required to develop or modify computer programs. Ensures correct business functionality, requirements, and industry standards are addressed with Teknion’s Enterprise Application Suite.
- Required to ensure Teknion standards are met when working with external consultants engaged for Projects.
- Communicates system changes and issues to all stakeholders, or to the project change management process when applicable.
- Builds effective relationships with business units to develop a “joint” vision. Acts as an I.T. liaison with the business and/or outside vendors as appropriate in support of the systems. Works together with Consultants and project owners to ensure the client’s business needs have been met.
- Work with Manager and I.T. stakeholders to assess technical architecture required to meet the project requirements and to ensure technical solutions are aligned with Teknion’s corporate technology plan.
- Develop and implement training plans where necessary. Work with and train key users to develop skills required to support changes in the business practices. To establish whether internal systems have adequate functionality and content to compliment new activity.
- When required specifies the enhancements and changes needed to internal systems to compliment process changes. For large projects, work with project sponsors and/or stakeholders to complete project charter outlining scope, goals, deliverables, required resources, budget and timing.
- Develops project plans to gather and define requirements, develop, test and implement the overall solution. This includes a work breakdown structure to estimate effort required for each task to provide a project schedule which will identify when each task will be performed and to clearly communicate expectations to team members and stakeholders.
- Execute rollout of project across core components: people, process and tools including in-scope partners and suppliers.
- Ensures current and accurate system documentation, coordinates and / or performs testing validation of system modifications, and develops, provides, or coordinates system training, educational tools and materials. Remove obstacles and support effective risk mitigation and issue resolution.
- Provide accurate, timely reporting on projects (status, budget, etc.). Obtain sign-off from key stakeholders on tested application solution.
- University degree.
- Experience with business process or systems analysis or related disciplines.
- Ability to translate proposition requirements into clear, concise process design specifications
- Ability to think analytically, define problems and frame solutions
- Soft skills, including experience in facilitation, diplomacy, and conflict resolution
- Good analytical, communication and negotiation skills, and strong attention to detail.
- Effective in a team environment & can work independently with minimal supervision. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Familiar with relational database concepts & database design, client-server concepts, web strategy delivery models, service oriented architecture. Also require good working knowledge of formal design methodologies.
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to lead, facilitate and organize.
Teknion is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
By applying for a position with Teknion, you understand that, should you be made an offer, it will be contingent on your undergoing and successfully completing a background check consistent with Teknion's employment policies. Background checks may include some or all of the following based on the nature of the position: SSN/SIN validation, education verification, employment verification, credit check and criminal check. You will be notified during the hiring process which checks are required by the position
Why you should grow with us!
Company Paid benefits
Group RRSP plan
Excellent work environment and culture
Corporate perks and discounts year round